My Bunyip Story.

Talk About Anything, but Please Remember the Rules.
vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Bunyip Story.

Post by vince. » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:53 am

I seen a Peter Newell Bunyip listed on Ebay and it brought back some old memories.

From the collectors who have researched these lures and their history, there appears to be 23 made by Peter just before he passed away.
I know little of the Bunyip but will once again tell my Bunyip story. No one paid any attention at the time and justly so. I`m just a rude and aggressive collector determined to bring down lure collecting apparently. The lure on Ebay is listed at $700, at this list price, maybe it`s time to rethink some history.

Again, I know little of the Bunyip, but this is what I do know.

Shortly after Peter Newell passed away, I received a call from Frank Prokop. For those who don`t remember Frank, at the time he was considered by some, a highly regarded member of the lure community. He talked about Peter Newell, rightly or wrongly as though he was a close and dear friend of both Peter and his wife Cathy. In the call I was told Cathy had three prototype lures for sale.

These Prototypes were the only three Peter had made prior to his passing and because of this,Cathy had $1800 on them. This was a lot of money for lures, even Peters lures back then, they hadn`t reached their peak at this stage.Frank even gave me his opinion of these lures. It wasn`t a glowing report, he wasn`t in favour of the screw on bib. These were prototypes however and my greed took over and I agreed to the price. Frank then passed me over to Cathy and Brett to complete the deal and I never heard another word from them. At the time I assumed I had been used as bait to raise the price to one of the real Newell collectors. Not being a Newell collector I thought nothing much about it and moved on.

Point is, where did the other 20 come from. Were Frank and Cathy both lying. You would hate to think so, but if there were others, someone had to be lying to me. Maybe they didn`t know? It was much later before other Bunyip`s started to surface. Did Peter hide his new Prototypes he was working on just prior to his death from everyone, even his wife. Apparently three sat on the TV, so they were obviously not a secret.

The photos of five undercoated Bunyips on this site is enough for me to make my conclusions on where the 20 others came from. I have no evidence to back up one word of what I have said here. Don`t need it, my story Is true. My conclusion is based on that and a little thread on this site called “The Latest Batch of Pristine Newells”
Regards.....Vince.

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Bunyip Story.

Post by vince. » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:50 pm

Then again, maybe no one gives a shit that possibly 20 or perhaps all of the known Bunyips where not made or at the very least finished by Peter Newell. At $700 a piece, you would like to think three of them are genuine, and then hope you have one of those lol
Does it matter ??? History doesn’t need to be based on fact, more often, based on those writing it.
Regards.....Vince.

Return to “LURE AND MORE - GENERAL CHAT”