Found Two More

Newell Lures
vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Found Two More

Post by vince. » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:13 pm

I forgot about these two beautiful Polonia Scorpions.
In my defence, they do hang on the nude wall with a couple of hundred others and I don`t tend to bother with the lures much these days.
Surely it`s not just old age -duh
I purchased these in late August 2008. Original lures at that time, were selling on ebay, limited edition lures by Peter Newell and Brett Campbell. Only a few were ever sold and all were special lures made with collectors in mind.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
This was the item description on Ebay.
IMG_0007 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards.....Vince.

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Found Two More

Post by ocd1688 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Fantastic idea “Originallures”
Pity it didn’t last long.
Beautiful lures they are mate. droolsmilie

Albert

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:30 pm

ocd1688 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:05 pm
Fantastic idea “Originallures”
Pity it didn’t last long.
Beautiful lures they are mate. droolsmilie

Albert
I have to agree mate. It was a great idea by Original lures to make and sell some unique lures as a special offer to collectors. I think Peter Newell’s health was the biggest reason it failed to continue. It didn’t take long after this venture into specialty lures that the lure boom created a market for collector orientated sets and one-offs. I am not saying this idea started the craze, just that these were some, if not the first attempts to work the burgeoning collectors market.
You are also right mate, they certainly are beautiful lures. As you know I have never been a serious collector of Newell lures. Never doubted the talent, but if you read the item description and look at the date, you might just see a good reason to doubt the character.
If you want them, they are yours.
Regards.....Vince.

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:39 am

Out they go.
Over the hill and far away.
Don’t do Facebook.
The bay is still the best place I reckon.
No mate I don’t want them.
But I did covet them at the time. smckin

Albert

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jimmymate » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:51 am

Awesome Vince, out of curiosity do you remember what the winning bib price was? Interesting to look back at what was potentially considered a high price back then and compare to prices achieved now.
Many lures become flavours of the months at time and fluctuate heavily but i dont think people could go wrong with Newell's over the journey.
Jim

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vince. » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:00 am

jimmymate wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:51 am
Awesome Vince, out of curiosity do you remember what the winning bib price was? Interesting to look back at what was potentially considered a high price back then and compare to prices achieved now.
Jim
Jimmy, the 6” went for $170.15 and the 5 1/2” $153.05
That was considered outrageous at the time.
A couple of years later those amounts would have been the starting prices. lol
I missed the first one in the set by not putting enough on my max bid. Things hadn’t really got out of control at that stage, but interest was growing and I underestimated the value of the first one. Wasn’t too long and as the number of collectors grew, so did the number of bidders and we all know what that does to prices. thumbsupsmilie
Regards.....Vince.

Return to “Newell Lures”