Bennett McGrath Lures

Bennett Lures
BigPauly
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Bennett McGrath Lures

Post by BigPauly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks Neb. They were a very popular lure on the Nepean river when it flooded, those and the Tassie devils. My memory is a bit hassy but would Mcgrath taken on the lures 20ish years ago. I ask because I dont think Bennet Mcgraths came out in the red with the red spot, I may be wrong. I know the european card and the red lures were the gun lures.

These are the Bennet Mcgraths I have and the bottom is the Mcgraths. Im pretty sure the Red one and the Green one are early Mcgraths as I dont remember buying then in the last 10 years and its been around 15 to 20 years since I last fished trout in the warragamba arm of the Nepean.

BigPauly
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by BigPauly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Bennet Mcgraths. I cant remember if the silver flash was original or stuck on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigPauly
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by BigPauly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:14 pm

These are the Mcgraths. I fairly sure the newer Mcgraths have more paint around the head area but could be wrong, not a collector.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Big Pauly, I too used to fish the Nepean with Bennett McGraths buying them from a mate Graeme Pailthorp at St Marys, I have a red Bennett/McGrath lure from the early batch before the split, the McGraths do have slightly more black around the head and the flash has been added (tut tut). The bennett/Mcgrath lures do not have any writing on the bibs, these are the earlier lures. There are real early ones and these have a brass skeleton as opposed to stainless/gal skeleton.These are worth money if you can find them..Nev

Hutto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hutto » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 pm

Here are 3 examples of early B&M minnows with the brass body. The rainbow is my favourite colour and has little resemblance to the Rainbow trout colours that followed.
009 [640x480].JPG
013 [640x480].JPG
Neb, Are you still in contact with Graeme? I knew him quite well as a member of the Nepean Fishing Club around the time he acquired St Marys Fishing Tackle

Cheers

Ian

BigPauly
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by BigPauly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:30 pm

Ok its a small world. I was very good mates with Graham and am still in contact with him. I would work in the shop when they needed a hand and build rods for him. I was also a member of Nepean fishing club, small world hey.

Thge flash is just stick on prism tape so no damaged done, we were always tampering with the lures to try getting that bit extra. Do you know with the early bennett mcgrath red lure did it have the black spot?
If you look at that red Mcgrath the black head is much less than those of the newer ones same as the red on the green one its much smaller than the current ones, the current ones seem to have the head colour up to the first hanger

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:31 am

BigPauly wrote:Ok its a small world. I was very good mates with Graham and am still in contact with him. I would work in the shop when they needed a hand and build rods for him. I was also a member of Nepean fishing club, small world hey.

Thge flash is just stick on prism tape so no damaged done, we were always tampering with the lures to try getting that bit extra. Do you know with the early bennett mcgrath red lure did it have the black spot?
If you look at that red Mcgrath the black head is much less than those of the newer ones same as the red on the green one its much smaller than the current ones, the current ones seem to have the head colour up to the first hanger
I joined Nepean Fishing Club also and fished two or three Wyangala Comps with Graeme this is where I was first intrduced to B & M lures, You will find that with each change of owner the colour pattern changed slightly as John Bennett was the original painter his patterns and colours still stand the test of time. When you see Gray gray give him my regards...Nev

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:33 am

Hutto wrote:Here are 3 examples of early B&M minnows with the brass body. The rainbow is my favourite colour and has little resemblance to the Rainbow trout colours that followed.
009 [640x480].JPG
013 [640x480].JPG
Neb, Are you still in contact with Graeme? I knew him quite well as a member of the Nepean Fishing Club around the time he acquired St Marys Fishing Tackle

Cheers

Ian
Ian, No sadly, I have not seen Graeme for many years, I only recently heard that he still lives in Penrith, next time I'm down there I will look him up..and very nice school of B & M's you have there..John Bennetts paintwork is attractive more intense colours than current. If you decide to part with them let me know..Nev

BigPauly
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by BigPauly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Ahh the Ansa comps at Whangla, trolling Bennett Mcgraths on 1kg for trout, was you fishing on Sharena?

I still recon thats one of the best freshwater comps I have been in.

Grahams still in penrith but not in the white brick house. Do you remember Phil and Mara, mick poole, old donny cant think of who else.

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Yer we fished on the floating gin palace with John mellenkamp blasting on the stereo, you said you made rods for Graeme, did you make him some 1kg long handled baitcast rods for trolling 1kg for trout if you did I still have one I think Dyko blank. We caught some nice 2kg trout on trolled B & M carp.. great comp.. mate no good with names, but met a lot of nice people up there..Nev

Return to “Bennett Lures”