Limited Edition Collector Sets

colsel
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Limited Edition Collector Sets

Post by colsel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 am

I for one am interested in Limited Edition Collector Sets. They tend to celebrate milestones in a lure makers career and with very limited numbers have great collector potential. They are a showcase of the workmanship and pride that these talented craftspeople put into their creations. Unfortunately, there is not a great deal of information to be easily found regarding many of these Sets. With that in mind I thought that it might be worthwhile to attempt to develop a reference data base of sorts, where collectors could pool their knowledge. I believe that having accurate details about these Collector Sets would have considerable historical significance as well as being useful for collectors in gauging rarity etc.

To start the ball rolling I'll list below the details of some Sets that I'm familiar with, and hope that others will pick up the baton and add details about the other Sets that are out there. I hope to learn a lot. Information on additional "Specials" done for individuals would also be good.

Should you feel that any of the details I list need amendment please let me know and I will happily correct them.
Regards,
Col

1. AC Crayfish
Maker: Anthony Curtis
Date of release: July 2011
Number released: 50
Price: $250
Notes: This lure was first developed for a project initiated by Frank Prokop called "Stairway to Heaven" and then later released commercially.
_MG_4285 AC box.JPG
_MG_4303 AC cray.JPG
2. Brett Campbell Collector Set
Maker: Brett Campbell
Date of release: May 2011
Number released: 10
Price: $600
Notes: This set was issued to mark the 25th Anniversary of Brett's first "Snyper" lure. Only 10 sets were done of the original 25 planned. This resulted in some unusual numbering as some collectors had reserved numbers greater than 10 from the original 25 on offer. To the best of my knowledge the numbers used were 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 13 and 25. As well, Set No. 1 was done in Blue and Green colours with the remaining sets all Yellow and Black(Holden Monaro colours). The boxes are made from Brazilian mahogony.
_MG_4282 Campbell.JPG
3.Paul Kneller Scampi Collector Sets
Maker: Paul Kneller
Date of release: 2011
Number released: 40
Price: $600
Notes: Two versions were done - 20 sets were done in popular traditional colours and another 20 Australiana sets done semi-nude in six different timbers.
_MG_4315 Col Scampi lid.JPG
_MG_4314 Scampi lid nude.JPG
4. Rob Gaden 30th Year Anniversary Box Set
Maker: Rob Gaden
Date of release: July 2010
Number released: 30
Price: $1200
Notes: The White Beech timber used to make the lures was sourced from York Brothers ship builders. It was off cuts left over from 1980(when Rob first started) and had been used to line the walls and floor of the wheel house of the "Mistique" as well as for the entire deck of the "MV Lannaki". An additional "special" set was also done in Black and White.
_MG_4316 RMG Lid on.JPG
_MG_4308 RMG CERTIFICATE.JPG

More later.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colsel
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Limited Edition Collector Sets

Post by colsel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:17 pm

5. Keith Baker Tribute Lure - Bakers' Dozen
Date of release: July 2011
Number released: 13
Price: $375
Notes: Lure #1 was presented to Keith as a gift from Rob and another of the lures was offered as a prize in a Fund Raising Raffle for the Lure and More website.
_MG_4299 Baker cray.JPG
6. Laminated Scampi
Maker: Paul Kneller
Date of release: May 2011
Number released: 25
Price: $200
Notes: Made from White Beech and Red Cedar.
_MG_4295 Kneller 2011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colsel
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by colsel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:51 pm

7. 2011 Limited Edition Lure
Date of release: 2011
Price: $250
Notes: 5" Goodoo-Biggoon "T" bib.
_MG_4297 RMG 2011.JPG

8. 2012 Limited Edition Lure
Date of release: November 2011
Price: $200
Notes: Matched pair of Tor-Toof and Relic Doc. An additional "special" set was also done in Black and White.
_MG_4284 Gaden pair.JPG

Baz
Guru
Guru
Mood:

Post by Baz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Good work Colsel.Have you got 1 of Jamie Fletts sets ???
Wishin I was Fishin..!!

colsel
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by colsel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Baz,

No I don't have any of Jamie's sets. It would be great if you could add some info on them, or any others.

Regards,
Col

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:48 pm

Very good topic Col .... Q. are you going to post Paul's 10th Anniversary Shrimp set's and the more recent Yabby sets, if so I will wait for those thumbsupsmilie

Q. There are some rarer variations of Scampi Collector sets and the laminated Scampi that were produced as well - would you like to see pics of these sets ?
Cheers Rob

colsel
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by colsel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Dave, thanks for the encouragement.

Rob, It would great if you would add details of your Deception Sets to this thread. The more photos the better.

Thank you both,
Col

Baz
Guru
Guru
Mood:

Post by Baz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:54 am

Col, I don't have 1 of Jamies sets but I'm sure there would be someone on the site who does.

This is an interesteing thread, lets hope it keeps growing thumbsupsmilie
Wishin I was Fishin..!!

colsel
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by colsel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:48 am

9. The Kadaitcha Lure
Maker: Peter Newell
Date of release: 2000
Number released: 200 were offered for sale but I understand that less than 80 were actually sold. Accurate information regarding this would be appreciated if anyone can help.
Issue price: $100
Notes: Both the Lures and the accompanying Letters of Authenticity were marked with Peter's thumb print. The numbering on these ranged from 1 up to 200 even though the full offering of 200 was not taken up. One of these lures changed hands for $2200 in June 2011.

Photos: I do not own one of these highly desirable items and hence have no photos to support this entry. Maybe someone else could help out in this regard with images of both the Lure and the Letter of Authenticity.

colsel
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by colsel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:31 pm

CORRECTION for date of release.

I have received a PM with some additional information about "The Kadaitcha Lure". I thank to sender for their interest and assistance. One of the main purposes for starting this Thread was to document accurate information for all.
Apparently the Thumb Print Kadaitchas were released well before 2000 and the Certificate was an afterthought. The #1 Kadaitcha Lure only had a hand written piece of paper to accompany it when received by it's first owner.
I had arrived at a 2000 Date of Release based on an advertisement for these lures which appeared in the Autumn edition of "Freshwater Fishing" 2000 quoting a "Special End of Millennium Limited Release". As well, the only Certificate of Authenticity that I have seen was dated 6th June 2000. But, as I said at the start, should anyone "feel that any of the details I list need amendment please let me know and I will happily correct them".

Request for info.
If anyone has precise details about the Abalone Shell StumpJumper Lures it would be good to hear from you. My knowledge about them might not be 100% as well.

Regards,
Col

Return to “Vintage & Collectable Lures General Chat”