What makes a Lure ?

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

What makes a Lure ?

Post by aussbasstony » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:08 pm

I have searched on this site but not found my answer.

If you aquire a collectable lure and the paint job is crap now, what happens to the value if you get it repainted ?

does it make it worthless ?
Or if you intend to keep it and not sell it does this realy matter ?

Cheers Tony

MXB
Master
Master

Re: What makes a Lure ?

Post by MXB » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:08 pm

My view is that a repaint of any sort only makes the value of the lure less . . . probably not worthless but close to it from a collectors perspective.

However if it is repainted to fish I suppose its value is for the fisherman using it. I used to repaint lures as a young man and wish I never had repainted some. There are some amazing repaints that I have seen tho' and I do own a few old vintage repaints that actually preserved the original character of the lure. I suppose what I am saying is that repaints should replicate the original pattern unless its a double or badly damaged where it really wouldn't matter. Value will definitely be less tho'

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:35 am

A lure pristine or well used is an original lure, once you repaint it its not original as the maker made it, so lessens the value. I prize well used lures I believe it gives them character. EG. a cross cut saw in pristine condition is a valued item, but a cross cut saw that is 70 years old and seen a lot of work is of more value, it has a story to tell (unless you want to use it to cut wood). This is with lures the pristine NIB lure is worth a lot of money, the used original lurenot so much money but it tells a story, the repainted lure can be used to fish...Nev

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:07 am

Have recently picked up an old Deception Nipper in a very rare configuration that I didn't even know existed - unfortunately 50% of the original paint has simply peeled off and it's basically half nude -duh

Not for one moment would I contemplate asking Paul to restore it to it's original condition .... that would simply change it from priceless to worthless in my eyes nope
Cheers Rob

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, I was thinking of finding someone to repaint a lure but now have changed my mind. blahblah

Ever though it doesn't have my teeth marks on the lure will be happy to leave it in the cabinet as is.

Thanks for stopping me from doing a stupid thing -duh

Cheers Tony

Return to “Vintage & Collectable Lures General Chat”