Who said there are no bargains???

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Who said there are no bargains???

Post by oldfish » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:31 pm

Accidently came across this eBay auction after it was finished. Nearly fainted in shock (and jealousy)

A determined enough and clever enough collector, who knew how to search thoroughly, paid the huge amount

of $28 for these 6 lures.

!BqWfEPwBWk~$(KGrHqQOKjIEu,TggSioBLvZb9Bufw~~_12.jpg

I have been getting similar bargains with fishing books for years, but it is easier there as even the unknowledgeable

seller, selling in the wrong section, will enter one or two words (author,book title,etc) which can be saved in a permanent search.

I salute the unknown collector above because these would have been just sheer hard work to find.

Cheers,Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Re: Who said there are no bargains???

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:32 pm

Jim,
Don't understand the Ebay listing system. Shouldn't these have automatically popped into the correct area as soon as seller entered the words lures, fishing, etc?
How would they have landed in someother obscure listing? Good luck to the buyer, but seller was foolish as he's deprived himself of a sizeable cheque.
Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).
"Always merry and bright"

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:10 pm

The seller chooses the area to list his stuff,and you can pay extra to list in 2 areas to maybe get different lookers.

Logically should be in Fishing-Vintage & Collectable-Lures where all us collectors would browse the list,but people put old lures in among

the modern crap in lots of other sections within the HUGE Fishing area (where I will never find them if there are 58,000 items,say)and

cost themselves lots of money.

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:14 pm

Yes Jim you're right there are still a few bargains to be found and i'm thinking this could be another "Gold Watch" story.There is a few questions about this auction that i don't have the answers for: a ten day listing ? (usually for someone trying to attract maximun bids) After the opening bid it went the full ten days before the next bid? and the fact that a very experienced bidder only put a maximun bid of $27 on with 5 secs to go?I watched this auction for the ten day duration and wondered where the bidders were? Anyway for the record i did put a bid on in excess of $200 and i also couldn't believe my luck in winning it for $28.I guess it's no "Gold Watch" story until they turn up but fingers crossed. Mike.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 pm

HMMMMM ??? must have been an obscure listing, It certainly didn't come up in my saved searches and I didn't see it in my manual perusal of several sections related to fishing........must be getting blind in my advancing years crazysmilie
Well done sniffing it out Mike thumbsupsmilie
Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Ok for the dumb people ( Me ) crazysmilie

what are all those six lures ???

Is that top right one a very rare one ?
Well done on the pick up though.

And I must learn to do this saved searches stuff -duh

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:11 pm

@Ausbasstony

no dumb questions, at least you asked.

Recognise a couple, Dempsters and Elliots but there are a couple that have me scratching my head.

And Brolly, well done. And I see you used the money you saved to win something you have been chasing for a while.

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Mike,

You could have stayed anonymous if you wished.I wasn't going to dob you in.

Only way I found it was by looking up items you had won.

Even with eBay's new secrecy policy on bidder identities the last few years (I think it mainly protects shonky sellers) there is still

some tricky stuff that can be worked out if one tries hard enough.

10 years ago eBay was a lot more fun with a community of collectors who all got to know each other,though that sometimes led to collusion

between bidders taking it in turns.Heck you could even look up what your mates were bidding on before the auction ended (saved a lot of searching)

which in turn led to people not bidding till the last few seconds.

After all this out in the open stuff,I hope Mike may tell us what he gets.4 or 5 Dempsters,possibly an Edwards? Darwin Dart or G Lure??

Cheers,Jim

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Simon yes i except that the odd "Gold Watch" win helps ease the pain when you feel you paid a little much for other wins.And while i don't know Barra lures all that well i'm thinking(hoping) the other five may in fact all be Dempsters.When they turn up i'll be guided by the thoughts of the experts. thumbsupsmilie

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:39 pm

Bottom left is the one that has me wondring.

Top right I would say elliots and there look like 4 dempsters.

Well done regardless.

Return to “Vintage & Collectable Lures General Chat”