Why Do You Collect and What?

Rupe
Master
Master

Re: Why Do You Collect and What?

Post by Rupe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:21 am

Stephen Booth wrote:Well Rupe we should talk about a few non red and black ones I have in my hands at some stage. Not now though, I have to get them back from a mate who is minding them for me (or is that stealing them from me?)
we definatley need to talk!!!
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

Stephen Booth
Expert
Expert

Post by Stephen Booth » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:18 pm

This is a small part of my addiction
DSC_3.jpg
Mully: notice the red and black cow legend - mad cow disease!

and
DSC_5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:04 pm

very nice mate, VERY nice!

looking forward to seeing your other rmg's when/if you get them back from your mate...!
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:30 pm

I had a passion for lures 20 years ago, but was not a collector.
lures were a large part of my life ,I handled lots(more than most) but never wanted to collect.
I kept and never used the first peter newell lure I ever saw (dont know why)
I still have the first lures given to me by Rob Gaden,Jamie Flett,Bill Clarke,John Knowles
and a couple of other aussie builders.
But still was not a collector.
I found this site and with the help of members both current and past became a collector.
For those of you that dont know....I COLLECT URATHANE BOOMERANGS
I started there but have added to my RMG's and my Mudeye's when I can.
I find that one lure is all it takes to start a "new" collection,
a single baby merlin/bennett scorpion has now turned into five.(and I want more)
What will be the next new one.... -hmmthink -hmmthink

RJFisher
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by RJFisher » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:20 am

Very interesting topic Boothy and love the red and black collection, especially the stumpjumper!

I started collecting lures as a kid about 25 years ago but only to use as intended, to catch fish! Until about 10 years ago the only lure I sought to put aside was the old rubber Flopy and only because I knew they hadn't been made since about 83/84. Other than those all lures were fair game.

My interest in collecting other lures in more recent times was largely influenced by what I read in the press, especially from those formative years of my fishing career in the early 80's. When Harro, Calcutt, McSea and others wrote about particular lures I'd always wish I could get my hands on some examples to see what they were talking about. When Bryan Pratt and Harro wrote about the 'yellow submarines, I'd want to get one, just in case I got to go cod fishing in some of those magical sounding places they fished! However it really hasn't been until this decade that I've managed to fulfill some of those fishing and lure collecting fantasies. Of course there are still plenty of fantasies and special lures to seek out and I'm sure there will always remain a few unicorns out there too.

I do admire the persistence and tenaciousness of those collectors that seek out whole sets of lures. Its a little mad, I hope you don't mind me saying, but I do get it! Though Mully- cows- what are you THINKING man!!!! lol lol lol
Me, I'm happy still collecting odd examples of lures here and there, chasing my unicorns, happy and satisfied when I find one to play with that I remember reading about in good times past.

My single biggest collection or set, is not even Australian or wooden! I dig old Rebel's, especially poppers. Yes they were made in big numbers, yes they're plastic, yes there are plenty around. But I like em and thats what collecting is all about isn't it? In Aussies I like my old Seekers though its especially hard to grab one off "Mr. Seeker", you're too good at this stage mate! I also like frog patterns in any lure, though I don't have many yet.

Cheers
Rohan thumbsupsmilie

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:51 pm

G'day Boothy,You knew i would have to post a reply.

First up am i minding them for you or stealing em? Both i hope ??? And i do have a couple of red and black Kadaitchas as well as an ever increasing collection of other red and black aussie stuff with you in mind, you know i do.And as for you Rupe i'm not sure you would like these old timber RMG'S you probably have anyway. muhmuh .And why do i collect ? Like most it never really started with that in mind you just keep accrueing more than you can use and then some of your older stuff is no longer available and becomes rare and valuable and on it goes and for me i can't see it stopping any time soon.

Brolly.

Stephen Booth
Expert
Expert

Post by Stephen Booth » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Brolly

As much as I love those lures I know they are in safe hands. As for the next time I pop round to talk lures with you - well - I can't say the same for yours.

I also know if you steal any I'll get plenty of ripper red and blacks back anyway so steal away.

Hope the swine flu is all good - you know old people are high risk category lol lol lol

wazza
Expert
Expert

Post by wazza » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:02 pm

I collect Aussie made timber lures only. I started collecting the first day I meet Peter Newell and understandably his lures are my passion and I won't rest until I have an example of everything he ever made.other makers lures that mean a lot to me are Brett Campbells,Billy Clarke,Don Lawson,Peter Redman and Tub Gainey as these guy's I fish with and consider friends.
But if it is Aussie made and timber I will collect it (plastic and metal lures are for throwing at fish)
warren

oldfishlure
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by oldfishlure » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:59 pm

My name's Joe, and I'm a lureaholic (too!) My favourites are Aussie wooden lures with bibs, older is great but I'm not that fussy. My most numerous collection is Rapalas and I got quite a few American things like Rebel, Heddon and many more. I got my first real lure, a Rapala CD18, 27 years ago. It never got swum much and its safe now it a heap of mates. I've gone through the stages a bit like fishing:
Stage 1 - catch a fish, any fish = collect a lure, any lure. Stage 2 - catch many fish = collect many lures. Stage 3 - catch big fish = collect special lures. Stage 4 - go fishing, catching is a bonus = watch and play a bit - adding another lure is a bonus. I think I'm at stage 4, but have been know to regress!

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:15 am

Stephen.
After seeing your red and black collection, curiosity got the better of me.
I had a scratch around and found these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Vintage & Collectable Lures General Chat”