Why Do You Collect and What?

Stephen Booth
Expert
Expert

Why Do You Collect and What?

Post by Stephen Booth » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:37 pm

I've been rattling through all my old fishing lures lately and discovered that I need to keep about 40 that were found in my tackle trays.

It got me thinking about why we collect and what we collect as only two weeks ago these same lures were sorted to be used!

My story is pretty simple I collect red and black Australian made lures, primarily for natives, but expanding to barra and estuaries lately! I chose to collect red and black because... don't really know why I started but I just did. It's partly because one off collectible lures is all I can afford and that red and black looks good. It's certainly not because I caught good fish on red and black as I can't remember catching one native on red and black, but many others have I am sure!

I still have lots of other colour lures in my collection but these will probably all be traded for red and black lures at some stage (apart from some very special ones of course!).

I now have over 80 red and black lures from Aussie makers (oh please let someone give me/swap me/loose at my house a red and black mint Kadaitcha!) and am always on the look out for more. Recently I have been getting into chasing up full sets of lures. For instance a full set of red and black AC Lures, full set of current Oar-Gees etc etc. It's a horrible and lovely addiction all at once.

I'd be super interested in what people look for as we all have that something special we want (or should that be covet) and we all started for some obscure reason that's probably lost in history.

And remember I am always on the look out for red and black Aussie lures.

Cheers

SB

lure crazy
Guru
Guru

Re: Why Do You Collect and What?

Post by lure crazy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:59 pm

I envy any lure collector! I still cant help but use any lure I have! smckin smckin smckin
Beginner or pro, doesent matter how good you are, fishings a gambling game. Put your lure in the right place at the right time and it will get smashed!
Image "CLICK THE BANNER FOR THE NEW WEBSITE"

TonyM

Post by TonyM » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Up until very recently I was the same as (or should that be "sane" as?) LureCrazy ???

All of my lures were fair game and had one purpose only - to (hopefully) catch fish.

Then I discovered that a few of my lures were it seemed "collectible" .....

Since then it's been a downwards spiral and the disease has firmly taken hold crazysmilie

I thought chasing Barra was addictive, but this is almost as bad!

My bank account balance is falling and my modest collection is growing, and each run through the tacklebox sees more lures going in the "not to be fished" pile!

As my favourite fish to chase is Barra, my collection too is mostly focussed on Barra lures from QLD and NT, although there is more than one exception to this "rule"

As my bank balance gets lower though, I am beginning to become more focussed so at least a little sanity remains!

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:56 pm

You can collect anything you like except RMG's...they're ALL MINE!!! muhmuh muhmuh muhmuh
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

Stephen Booth
Expert
Expert

Post by Stephen Booth » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:00 pm

Well Rupe we should talk about a few non red and black ones I have in my hands at some stage. Not now though, I have to get them back from a mate who is minding them for me (or is that stealing them from me?)

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:02 pm

I collect purely for the excitement of acquiring a piece of history and having that in my possession I also collect because i love the swapping sharing and friendships amongst like minded collectors who have the same passion as i do for these little pieces of history.I once collected stamps long ago but that was not half as exciting of a piece of wood or plastic that can be used to continue my passion of fishing or to swap or have as an example or even a small run of a special edition.
Do i love to have something rare "shit yeah" its great to tease and adds to the fun to show off a collection that others find interesting or awesome also, gives one a sense of pride and achievement [well me anyway]
I collect all sorts but my passion is the cow pattern [fresian] in any shape or form but a few other like koolabung,nilsmasters and aussie metals are becoming more and more enticing.
I have a few lures maybe around 5000 or so now, many i cannot even remember i have but going through my boxes brings that added feeling of WOW forgot about that one and adds to the excitement all over again..

anyway enough blah from me await others admittance of addictions -duh lol lol lol

luxman78
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luxman78 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:26 pm

I seem to collect all sorts of lures.I have boxes of ones that I use and many boxes of hallowed lures that will never see water.
Growing up in SE QLD me and my best mate spent our entire wages on lures,I can remember snapping off Newell Bass rats as the water was to cold to go in after them.
Now I live in Darwin,I am enjoying picking up all sorts of timber Barra lures and sharing the fun with my 4 year old son.
I have somewere around 8000 lures in my collection and am always on the lookout for more.
I am always keen to trade lures and find that quite a few guys I know who collect come to me to see if I have what they want.
My missus thinks that I have a problem and possibly she is correct.My next trip back to the severn river will include some dive gaer to recover many newells,bennets and rmg's that we so carelessly snapped off when snagged yars ago.
This site is a great way for all of us to share our craziness.
Well done to Mully and the other guys who make it happen.
Matt.

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:39 pm

I collect for a few reasons. 1. Because (and maybe it is wrong but hey!) some lures are just sexy. The smooth lines, the colours and the skill that has gone into them is just nice to look at. They really are a work of art. 2. I guess I look at some as an investment. If I can get some today and in 5-10yrs make some money fromthem then thats a good thing, and better than some traditional investment funds (and the worst thing that can happen is that if the price of collectable lures crashes then I ahve plenty of lure to fish with, win win. 3. I collect some lures that have worked for me and can tell stories such as the RMG lure thats on my keyring that I pulled out of an eagles feet han ging from a Gwyder river branch, or the Newells Scorpian that cauight my first barra etc etc.

I am focusing on New England and NSW north coast lures. North coast because thats where I live now and New England because I really like the style that this area produces. I hold the Mudrat as a clear example of this area. Surface lures are something I really like, hence my journey into getting a full collection of Kingfisher Mantis lures, a blend of 2 passions. Today I found another type/style of Kingfisher mantis surface lure I need in timber. Does it never bloody end!!!

Luxman78, 8000 lures. Awsome, and as your married, balls of steel lol

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 am

My reasons for collecting lures are primarily 'fishing nostalgia'.

As a kid I grew up in SE Qld and then moved to North Queensland in my teens. I was always mad-keen huntin', shootin', fishin' so lures featured heavily in my recreational activities and general enjoyment of the good life.

In those days, we witnessed the arrival of magical lures from the US, mainly Heddon, Arbogast, etc, along with all the ABU marvels, and a sprinkling of other fabulous stuff from Europe. The Aussie lure industry was in its infancy, with Eric Moller at the lead in my neck of the woods, and many others like George Dempster not far behind. I was priveleged to buy many of them new from the original makers, and luckily still have a few survivors. Of course we made our own copies as well, and caught fish!

If I could get just one good used example of every lure that passed through my tackle-box during the late 60s, 70s and 80s I would be an extremely contented collector!

But of course, we all know it doesn't just stop there..... Image
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

lure crazy
Guru
Guru

Post by lure crazy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 am

I dont feel so bad now! Now I can show my wife this thread and show her im not to bad with my 40 lures or so! lol lol lol Every time she comes out side and says "Are you luring again" or " dont you get sick of playing with those lures",I can show her this and it should calm her down! lol lol lol
Beginner or pro, doesent matter how good you are, fishings a gambling game. Put your lure in the right place at the right time and it will get smashed!
Image "CLICK THE BANNER FOR THE NEW WEBSITE"

Return to “Vintage & Collectable Lures General Chat”