Flattie on a home made

SkyeWarrior
Rookie
Rookie
Mood:

Re: Flattie on a home made

Post by SkyeWarrior » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:53 pm

Nice one Roger. My first ever fish out of my kayak was almost exactly the same as this and with it I was hooked on yak fishing for good. 'Thought I could comfort lift her onto my lap (stop laughing guys, I can hear you snickering already) to pop out the hooks, but when I went to put her back over the side she went berserk. On one hand I got whacked in the jewels a couple of times, and on the other received half a dozen holes at the point where I ran out of shorts. -duh Still a happy memory, but one I don't want to repeats in quite the same way. Reckon beaching ain't a bad idea thumbsupsmilie

Stevo
Today's the day! The sun is shining, the tank is clean and we are getting out of here!!!

Pecheur
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pecheur » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:39 am

Hi there,

That is some nice lures catching some nice fish.
That must be a great feeling catching a fish on a home made lure.
Congratulation.

Have a good day,
Pecheur

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:57 am

@diemai . . .

I don't carry any of that stuff!! I'm a minimalist fisherperson who only carries what I need - I normally don't use a net but do carry one on the yak just in case the big one arrives and looks like it is not hooked too good.

A pair of pliers, a box of lures, two rods and reels, a paddle and thats about me ready to fish. lol

@Skywarrior . . .

You have relayed a story which explains the exact reason I don't bring the bigger flatties into the kayak!! My worst one was a treble through the thumb with a flathead attached. Damaged the other hand trying to get the flathead off the treble and off my THUMB and then did the traditional thing of pushing it through and removing the barb so I could pull the rest back out (it was in the fleshy part on the outside of the thumb! Anyway never again!!

@Pacheur

Welcome to L&M . . . the lure is an experimental design using a vintage metal bib It will get down as deep as you want and has an action like a flatfish with a bit of a body roll as well. The bib flashes with the side to side action and it stays in the strike zone for a long time. I've found it seems to attract bigger fish and have caught some big bass on this design too.

And yes . . . catching on something you have made makes it worth the effort thumbsupsmilie

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:00 pm

MXB wrote:@diemai . . .

I don't carry any of that stuff!! I'm a minimalist fisherperson who only carries what I need - I normally don't use a net but do carry one on the yak just in case the big one arrives and looks like it is not hooked too good.

A pair of pliers, a box of lures, two rods and reels, a paddle and thats about me ready to fish. lol

MXB

howdy

.............I sometimes wish that I was as well , ...would have less pain in my back always carrying my easily 20 pounds tackle bag around(if you've seen it in the video section in here) lol !

greetz , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:56 am

Hi all;

Went out early this morning and although dead low tide managed to snag this guy on 3rd generation Cedar Cray - this lure has slight black tinge on back and some reddish highlights - I reckon they love the red hooks!! I have now caught 6 species on this lure which was orginally made for fishing Lake Pedder in Tassie. Managed about 5 bream today and 2 EP's as well but nothing too sizeable.

About 55-60cm and about 1.7kg . . . kept for the table thumbsupsmilie

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Great work MXB !
Those trout lures of yours seem to catch all species ,did that one catch at Pedder ???
I do remeber inspecting that particular lure .....Noice !
Dave ...

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi all . . .

Decided to head out before the storm and managed to snag this lovely fish in deeper water.
Hit like a train and of course on the usual lure which was put on through desperation.
Paid off . . . 2.4kg or 5.5lb

Long fish around 80cm

Not sure what they take this lure for but I think the flashing bib plays a part

MXB

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:24 pm

@ MXB

Nice fish , Roger , ....congrats , .......and very inspiring lure to me , ....gotta carve at lateshift today thumbsupsmilie !

Cheers , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Baz
Guru
Guru
Mood:

Post by Baz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Nice lure and fish.How'd it go on the plate.One of my fave fish to eat.Can't beat beer battered flatty and chips droolsmilie droolsmilie
Wishin I was Fishin..!!

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:32 am

Baz wrote:Nice lure and fish.How'd it go on the plate.One of my fave fish to eat.Can't beat beer battered flatty and chips droolsmilie droolsmilie
Excellent . . . fed 4 people thumbsupsmilie
Definitely one of the best eating fish

MXB

howdy

Return to “SALTWATER FISHING LURE CATCHES fishing pictures”