4%
Okuma
No votes
Tica
No votes

Total votes: 50

Zipman

Post by Zipman » Thu May 22, 2008 3:47 pm

lol lol lol lol Only said in jest Fizza must admit that when I went to the tackle show in Japan this year the Shimano top end reels I did drool over, but IMO the mid range stuff didn't do much for me compared to the Daiwas, the Shimano rods are top notch actually have one a Shimano Scorpion only problem is I have to match it with my Daiwa Certate lol

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Thu May 22, 2008 3:58 pm

Mine too in jest. Someone has to barrack for the under-dog. It wasn't meant to be a personal attack or anything of the sort. Only firing up the Daiwa brigade.

On a serious side I'm not a fan of many of the latest reels from most of the popular manufacturers if there's such a thing these days. They all seem to be making them like TV's & Fridges, throw aways after a few yrs of moderate service.

Damo

Post by Damo » Fri May 23, 2008 8:00 pm

Are we talking purely finesse? If so Daiwa's have it all over Shimano..Shimano make great gears and that's what you feel when using one haha...DAIWA nahnah
And i even say their overheads such as the Saltist's and Saltiga's have improved over time..But big overheads im nothing but a big Penn fan.. Cheers

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Fri May 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Zipman wrote:lol lol lol lol Only said in jest Fizza. The Shimano rods are top notch actually have one a Shimano Scorpion only problem is I have to match it with my Daiwa Certate lol
Hell Zip, a bloke could open a can of worms here & cause an internet riot.

Re rods, many might look nice but once you run line through them especially overhead sticks and set your drag accordingly, there isn't many that are made properly. Main problem i've seen are the runners/guides being positioned wrongly or not enough of them.

One other thing that has me beat is when manufacturers say a rod is 8lb - 20lb class.
I've never seen one yet that will load up at 8lb & then be able to handle 20lb with more than twice the load. To fish these rods to their max on good fish, the difference between 1/3 BS of almost 3Lb & 7LB or being lenient 1/4 BS of 2LB & 5Lb of drag running through a rod is far too great.

This is my opinion only and it makes sense to me, whether it makes sense to others well, I'm not sure.

@ DAN: Dan, I'm old school and I don't mean any disrespect when I ask the Question but; what exactly is Finesse Fishing?

I'm also mainly discussing Baitcast/Overhead reels

I do agree Daiwa have come a hell of a long way in the past 5 yrs. Prior to this they were very ordinary.

Shimano had a little Baitcaster some yrs ago called the Bantam Super SpeedMaster or BSS-2000 ULS. We rarely see these little reels for sale as those who've ever owned them just won't part with the buggers. These reels had five bearings, and were reknowned for their casting of ultralight lures of around & under 1/8oz.

Not very many of today's reels can boast this feat with confidence.

Damo

Post by Damo » Fri May 23, 2008 9:10 pm

Finesse as in really ultra light jig heads/ unweighted fishing...I still like Shimano no disrespect for their products at all as they do make great fishing gear, I do use a Shimano rod and i have just purchased another the same cause i like them so much and the price is right..
Nothing wrong with being old school, i have gained great information from lots of fella's from the ol'skool who have done the home work and don't mind letting on a bit of info thumbsupsmilie Cheers Damo

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Fri May 23, 2008 9:42 pm

Damo wrote:Finesse as in really ultra light jig heads/ unweighted fishing... thumbsupsmilie Cheers Damo
Shit mate, I've been a Finesse angler all my bloody life if that's the case.
Even my Cod fishing could be classed as 1/2 baked finesse especially when using bait.

DAMN bowsmilie yay thumbsupsmilie

FINESSE; It has a certain ring to it! susssmilie

I've got one Shimano rod and when purchased was top of the range BUT like most factory rods I've came across it wasn't built properly. Never gets used as it's all outta wack.

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat May 24, 2008 8:43 am

I supose you would also consider line class rod rating and size reel under the finesse word.. I don't really think their is a line draw to decide wether you are finesse fishing or not.. What if i called it Astute fishing? haha .. More than likely finesse is a word used as terminology rather than saying im light line fishing sounds a little more spiffy lol ..

Fizza

Re: Reel brand your favorite

Post by Fizza » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:20 am

This series of Daiwa Reels was in my opinion the turning point for them.

The PS BL series from around 1992 were the best of the best from the Daiwa stable at the time.

I have two of the tiny 700's that have copped an absolute floggin & they're still going strong & in mint condition.

They came with a "plastic" spare spool, one of if not the 1st Daiwa with micro adjustable drag, timber handle & 3 ball bearings.

By today's standards they'd be deemed as rubbish & unfortunately they were made in Thailand & not Japan.

Spool capacities:
155 yds 4Lb
100 yds 6 Lb
80 yds 8Lb

A tiny reel & the smallest available at the time, Shimano had nothing available at the time that even came close to the size of this little reel.

Mine are used for bait fishing for trout with 4Lb spooled on the Aluminium spool & 2Lb on the plastic.

They've been faultless performers over the 16 or so yrs I've had them.

Falky
Master
Master

Post by Falky » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:53 pm

Fiz
I've had this one for many years myself. DA1300M. used to catch plenty of trout with it thumbsupsmilie
mine only came with the one alloy spool(with micro adjustable), 3 ball bearings as well and the wooden handle.
now which one is the oldest in the range?

Adam
PB020001.jpg
PB020002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:04 pm

Adam,
I bought mine new in around 1992 give or take a year or two.

From memory there were various models that all came on the market together so these two different models very well may be the same age.

They were featured in ne of the early FWF magazines, if anyone has some early ones & may even possibly be in the Harboard Tackl book.

Return to “SALTWATER FISHING REELS FRESHWATER REELS GENERAL DISCUSSION ABOUT REELS”