Baitcaster Advice

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Baitcaster Advice

Post by Lure-Nut » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:24 am

Need a new Baitcaster, looking for something about 6'6" to 6'10" that casts down to a 5gm lure, 12-14lb line and enough butt to handle a decent Jack in the canals ???

Will match it to an existing Daiwas Alphas 103 R Edition.

Castability critical, forget price .... any recommendations thumbsupsmilie
Cheers Rob

Stephen Booth
Expert
Expert

Re: Baitcaster Advice

Post by Stephen Booth » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:47 am

Rob - something from the Daiwa Steez range if price isn't an issue or talk to someone like Ian Miller and get him to sort it out for you! Then there is Loomis,Lamiglass, and more.

Another thought is to contact Duncan O'Connell at Fish Head as he's got some super sexy Japanese-style baitcasters with some pretty radical designs and ratings.

Good luck - big ask for a baitcaster but I am sure there is something out there.

SB

two-bob

Post by two-bob » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:52 am

Speak to Paul re the Daiwa interline rods

simon bruce
Master
Master

Post by simon bruce » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:26 am

Lots of good stuff on the shelf, just have to try a few though or read a few catalogs so i guess you are asking for peoples personal recommendations.

What would I do if I was in the market for something like that?

1) Shimano T Curve - I like most of the rods in their range
2) Something from the Daiwa stable like the Steez rods at the top end but plenty of other good stuff
3) Smith make some great rods I think Fishead have them
4) Custom which might work out less than the Smith

the 5gm weight is probably the hard part to match to the line

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks guys for the advice, interestingly I'm using a Loomis Dropshot DSR822S that meets the exact specifications when matched to a Daiwa Certate R 2500 spinning reel .... it casts 4-6 gm lures with ease but is rated to 12lb.

What I'm now looking for is the Baitcaster equivalent, for some reason the same blank used as a Baitcaster simple isn't tippy enough to work with the baitcaster on these 5gm size lures ???

Maybe I'm dreaming, but the Daiwa Alphas 103 R is certainly not the problem !!!
Cheers Rob

neb
Expert
Expert

Post by neb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Rob, take your reel to a tackle shop and try it on one of the range of Pflueger rods, they will have what you need. Nev

Lure-Nut
Master
Master

Post by Lure-Nut » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:28 am

Worked out the exact profile of what I'm looking for ..... turned a 7-8 yr old Miller Breambuster 'Ultimate' over yesterday, dropped on the Alphas and I'm away - perfect, except for the reel seat and the guide placement lol

Wonder if Ian could build one of these into a Baitcater ..... may need a spiral guide placement to cope with the taper of the tip though - but I've no doubt he'll know better then me lol -duh -duh

Food for thought ....
Cheers Rob

Stephen Booth
Expert
Expert

Post by Stephen Booth » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:54 am

Apart from Ian being always behind because of time, he'd love to do something weird I am sure. I can see the bream lovers turning in their sleep with a Breambuster being stripped and refitted for jacks lol lol . Every rod should undergo such transformation I think (and that's from an addicted jack chaser!)

I have to talk to Ian this week so PM me if you want me to talk on your behalf too.

Cheers

SB

Dan
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:55 pm

I had my Alphas matched up to a Shimano T-Curve Tournament 1.83m baitcast heavy 6-10kg and it was a wild combo, used it for chucking spinnerbaits in the Murray.

Return to “FISHING RODS FRESHWATER AND SALTWATER FISHING RODS GENERAL DISCUSSION”