Favourite Barra Spin (impoundment)

Gottaboat
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Favourite Barra Spin (impoundment)

Post by Gottaboat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:02 pm

G'Day All howdy
I'm a newby to your site.

Was just reading about everyones favourite rods.
I would like to be more specific and ask you what's your favourite Barra Spinning Rod [even if I can't afford it the specs are helpful].
I am planning my first Barra trip and hope to be at Lake Monduran in March.
I have a baitcaster outfit, Shimano Raider Impoundment Barra/Shimano Citica 200,
but I am looking eyb for a spin rod to go with a Shimano Stradic 4000FI.
A T-Curve would be at the top end of my budget and a RaiderII Barra Spin would be the entry level on my budget.
I know, not much of a price range but that's all the budget allows skky

As for my favourite rods they would be a Starling Sqidgy Bass/Symetre 2500 spin outfit and a Raider Bass/Pfleuger Summit Micro baitcaster outfit thumbsupsmilie

Most of my fishing is done in estuaries and impoundments but I am starting to do a bit more harbour/inshore.

And yes I like Shimano products.

simon bruce
Master
Master

Re: Favourite Barra Spin (impoundment)

Post by simon bruce » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:47 pm

I've got the T Curve Power Spin and is a great rod. Haven't used for impoundments but for general tropical sportfishing running 20lb braid. Haven't used the Raiders myself but know a professional guide who uses the barra baitcasters so thats a good endorsement in my book. Same guy was runnning something like 60lb braid over a Power Spin on everything (that size braid was all he had lying around the camp)

Think the Power Spin is rated 5-8kg and 10-45g, there is a new Tropical spin which is similar but a three piece. See on the shimano website there is a barra raider 5-10 kilo so similar to the T curve. Might be the option to save a bit on the rod and spend up on lures.

There wouldn't be a lot you couldn't do with the power spin or raider and 20-30lb braid from impoundments to general tropical stuff.

Damo

Post by Damo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Starlo stix Midspin or Maxspin in the tournament pro series... Loaded with fuji silicones split grips for the $$$$$ you cannot go wrong and they are very light and strong midspin will fish 3 to 6kg, maxspin 4 to 7kg..Good luck thumbsupsmilie

tacklerat
Expert
Expert

Post by tacklerat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi,my first trip to Awoonga I took a t-curve barra baitcaster and a raider barra impoundment although both baitcasting rods they performed great with some metreys caught cheers

110_1003 [800x600].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mully on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: resized the image mate was a tad big

Return to “FISHING RODS FRESHWATER AND SALTWATER FISHING RODS GENERAL DISCUSSION”