No budget rod

Craig
Master
Master

No budget rod

Post by Craig » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:21 pm

Hot Rods is building me a rod to catch Bass on in the SEQ impoundments.
I'm the kind of guy that just buys rods in shops, so I don't know what to ask for.
Cost isn't relevent, so what would you do.

Reel is a Steez 2508 with 6 kg braid.
Casting lures like small poppers up to Jackall TN60.
I like cork handles that are curved to the hand.
Tagged and Released

Nathan
Rookie
Rookie

Re: No budget rod

Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:55 pm

If cost is no worry why just get one of each of his rods im shure there would be one in the range suited for you crazysmilie

Craig
Master
Master

Post by Craig » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:18 pm

If Hot Rods just sends up one of each, I'll pick the one I like and the rest Hot Rods can donate as mystery prices on Lure and More.
Do you have my address Hot Rods?
Tagged and Released

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:22 am

6kg braid? Why so heavy Craig are these bass really big? Could you get away with 4kg it'll cast a heap better with smaller lures... It's painful at the best of times casting a big lure with 5kg T.D sensor... I'll be going back to 3kg for the steez, good enough for casting small and larger lures.. Im sure Perrie will set you up on the right blank for the job.... thumbsupsmilie

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:16 am

6 kg or 6lb if ya like me 6lb is plenty even for jewies on a good day thumbsupsmilie

Craig
Master
Master

Post by Craig » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:26 pm

It will be for the ABT Bass.
I've already got a quality 1kg, 2kg and 4KG outfits for the southern dams. But for Lenthals and Monduran you need abit more pull.
My best Lenthals Barra is 730mm on 4kg, but I've lost alot of lures there on 15kg.
My best at Monduran is 935mm on 22kg, and I've been busted off there as well.
Tagged and Released

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:46 pm

droolsmilie nice I have just finished my graphite USA stick i have been talking about for some time, been busy!! With other toys $$$$$ $$$$$ back to the GUSA 702 Dhx i really lovely blank, i have five people already wanting one..Im beating them away from mine...I would look at the dual Heilix 703 Gusa rated @ 10lb to 17lb...They are definately worth the extra money over the pioneer series blanks IMO... Im yet to christen my 702 but i can feel something tugging on the line tonight i hope, hope it's not my mate again... crazysmilie Goddluck finding the right blank to suit your purpose won't be hard for someone that knows...I have recently also scored a job in the rod building industry, building customs and doing repairs not full time but it opens up the doors for me...Cheers Damo

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:52 pm

congrats on the new job mate thumbsupsmilie

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Damo wrote:6kg braid? Why so heavy Craig are these bass really big? Could you get away with 4kg it'll cast a heap better with smaller lures... It's painful at the best of times casting a big lure with 5kg T.D sensor... I'll be going back to 3kg for the steez, good enough for casting small and larger lures.. Im sure Perrie will set you up on the right blank for the job.... thumbsupsmilie
Damo, after fishing a 1/2 dozen seasons of ABT, I can tell you there is NO room for finesse tackle, Get em in, measure em, in the well or back over the side as quickly as possible. Most guys are fishin 8-10kg Braid, and with the current rods, throwing even 1/4oz spinnerbaits is easy peasy.

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Damo

Post by Damo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:40 am

Yeah fair call Brad i understand the law of drag and bag i didn't realise Craig was using it in comps as i didn't see it mentioned in his origional thread, but it's all good... thumbsupsmilie

Return to “FISHING RODS FRESHWATER AND SALTWATER FISHING RODS GENERAL DISCUSSION”