Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sat May 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Most things are good till they break lol crazysmilie nahnah assy wwnk

Still couldn't imagine eva on an Loomis IMX blank thumbsupsmilie

Chop
Expert
Expert

Post by Chop » Sat May 24, 2008 4:17 pm

Got me buggered why daiwa would put eva on their flagship rods when its no good susssmilie

Chop

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sat May 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Chop wrote: Cork deteriates aswell. Chop
Chop you obviously haven't seen what happens to eva.

As for Daiwas Flagship having eva - They're only a mid range rod at best.
What else would you use to keep costs down? sleepsmilie wwnk

No-one's said eva wasn't any good but quality cork is more sensitive & lasts much longer. It doesn't rot such as eva does. howdy nahnah

Chop
Expert
Expert

Post by Chop » Sat May 24, 2008 5:42 pm

ok, a steez is a mid range rod!!!!!!!!!!!!

And ive flogged the crap out my rod with eva and its the same as new and my other rod with cork that hasnt even seen a fraction of work the eva has, has had a small piece fall out. cork discolours really bad aswell, i dont bait fish and mines gone alot darker.
Just so you know, i fish a minimum 4 times aweek(others on the site can clarify) so my rods get used.

Chop

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sat May 24, 2008 5:49 pm

Chop you obviously haven't seen what happens to eva.

As for Daiwas Flagship having eva - They're only a mid range rod at best.
What else would you use to keep costs down? sleepsmilie wwnk Air Foam perhaps? nope
No-one's said eva wasn't any good but quality cork is more sensitive & lasts much longer. It doesn't rot such as eva does. howdy nahnah[/quote]

HOTRODS

Post by HOTRODS » Sat May 24, 2008 7:43 pm

susssmilie hummm very interesting debate so far...

im still a fan of both...but for a specific use...

firstly as for the Camo (Chops McMouldy Grips) i wasnt going to use them as i wanted to avoid any 'your a Miller Copy" remarks...TILL Station INSISTED i get a set for his 2 new rods...and i like them...

so heres my 2 cents...

firstly the Camo grips are a newer high density EVA, a lot harder in feel that standard material...

EVA is a LOT easier and quicker to work with, yes it is way cheeper too...

and since conerting the Camo grip kit over to my SwizzleStik grip design i have been SWAMPED with order for them...and havent done a cork rod in the past 4 weeks ! (ps. thanks Station )

as for the sensitivity issue...if we where still using Monofiliment then yes, cork for light spin rods would be advisable, but with the Superlines on every reel now, the sensitivity issue has been solved by no stretch lines that compensate for any possible loss of feel by using EVA...so IMO it not an issue any more...
this along with the bettr quality blank material being used...

ie. EVA over fibre glass using Mono... susssmilie ..was that a bite ???

EVA over Graphite with GSP line... shockedsmilie what the heck just MAULED ME ??!!??

oh and in winter cork is colder in the hand than EVA ...lol

over a long casting sesssion i would prefer the shock absorbsion factor acheived by EVA as well...

so its still personal preference...what ever makes you happy !

ben k
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ben k » Sat May 24, 2008 8:23 pm

hey Station, i'd be demanding a % from HR's sales!! lol lol

very good point about todays lines and blanks HR, never really came to mind. crazysmilie
but...........what about when using strait through fluro carbon?? which i do alot and alot of others these days.

also, when i hold a rod, probably 75% of my hand is not touching the grip itself, but the reel seat.......................

oh yeah, HR, stop making fun of our tassie weather, mate respectsign

HOTRODS

Post by HOTRODS » Sat May 24, 2008 8:29 pm

mm dunno about the fluro side yet,

any one know what the streatch rate is ??? mono is around the 30% mark...

and as for the hand on the grip or seat deal..

you wont have that problem now that your new rod is a VSS as the KN hood eliminates the seat under your hand...thats why i love them so much...stream line the whole set up...

hey Ben..SHUT UP AND STOP GIVING STATION EVIL IDEAS !!!

ben k
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ben k » Sat May 24, 2008 9:04 pm

sorry HR oopssmilie lol

spose your right about the reel seat thing (ok, i might hav exagerated a bit, about 50%), but... when holding 2 fingers infront, 2 finger behind the reel mount thing (what is that bit called....) you are still holding the hard plastic of the reel seat and hood (and also the reel), its really only the palm of your hand and 2 little fingers on the grip itself. therefore you would get pretty much the same feel though that wether you have eva or cork, wouldnt you?

Damo

Post by Damo » Sun May 25, 2008 8:34 am

Chop you can clean your cork ya dork nahnah Either with a mild soapy water or what i'll do is once every couple of months grab some metho on a rag and give it a scrub with a rag lets see ya do it with eva nope...
I agree with Fizza on the terms of the TD rods being mid range, lovely bling that's all i'll say but it doesn't warrent the rod to be worth more than $200, lets say your paying for the name..

@ Ben i aslo fish with the reel seat beween my fingers, but of late have been fishing the fore grip and i seems to make a difference on a more direct hook set...Dunno if it's just me but it certainly feels better when fighting a fish as well...

STILL CORK nahnah Eva nope lol

Return to “FISHING RODS FRESHWATER AND SALTWATER FISHING RODS GENERAL DISCUSSION”