cork or eva

ben k
Rookie
Rookie

cork or eva

Post by ben k » Fri May 23, 2008 11:32 pm

probably one for HR....
with the recent trend with everyone using camo grips on breamin' rods(me included), are we all sacrificing feel by using eva grips rather than cork??
it does look damn nice but are we going backwards?
i suppose there are positves and negatives for both, like cork does get a bit grubby looking after a while, but i'd rather that than sacrifice feel.

what does everyone else think?

ben.

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat May 24, 2008 8:56 am

Cork for me, feels better in the hand and you get more feel...Wouldnt say we are going backwards as recently people have been going back to rope grips which look great and for extra sensativity through the blank..Cheers

bloodworms
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by bloodworms » Sat May 24, 2008 10:30 am

Think cork cant be beat

It's there for the long term if looked after & cork is not just great on light rods either.

I've just built up a whole new set of game rods leather over cork & you just cant beat the feel having the corl under the leather it gives you that direct feel of whats going on.

Chop
Expert
Expert

Post by Chop » Sat May 24, 2008 11:36 am

Eva for me, i personally find it more comfortable. And as feel goes, that is so minimal between the two its not funny. Cork deteriates aswell.
Not really a fan of the camo, or as i call them "mouldy" grips. True camo grips just look plain ugly to me, dont think they go well with the rods. but thats just me. thubsdown Most people who have them are sponsored by millerrods anyway and dont pay for them.

Chop

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat May 24, 2008 11:44 am

Good quality cork has a better life than eva nahnah
Agree with Camo grips though not a fan of having chunder look on my rod lol

ben k
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ben k » Sat May 24, 2008 12:00 pm

thanks for the replies, interesting veiws.
you could call the blue one 'mouldy' and the green one 'chunder grips' lol lol
i didn't like the camo the first time i saw it, it's grown on me though. especially the black/grey thumbsupsmilie
well, you cant tell me HR's rods look crap!!!
the main reason i ask is i'm building a few of my own rods, just built one with camo grips but am yet to try it out, actually i'd be doing just that right now but the weather isn't great down here ATM! bloody tassie zippedsmilie

Ben.

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat May 24, 2008 12:50 pm

Nah they don't but they'd be better with cork, for me anyway thumbsupsmilie

Station49
Guru
Guru

Post by Station49 » Sat May 24, 2008 2:15 pm

Im a huge fan of EVA, and not just because it opens up another way to customise the rod, ie camo or just colours in general...

I find it a lot more comfortable to handle all day, and dont really notice a huge differance in sensitivity...

Have a few rods with EVA now [camo & plain black] and love it..

Also have a few corkies hanging around too,...
Macca

Fizza

Post by Fizza » Sat May 24, 2008 2:38 pm

I think you need to match the grip to the blank.
For example i wouldn't use eva on an IMX Loomis blank or Cork on an ugly stick.

Most of my rods are custom, plain and simple to look at yet all purpose built for a specific job.

As for camo & moreso spirals, not for me, both look censored especially spirals as this seems to defeat the purpose of the rod's backbone.
Might as well haul fish in sideways with the rod as it won't be performing how it should be when made & used properly.

Damo

Post by Damo » Sat May 24, 2008 3:08 pm

i had an Uglystick liteon with cork it was a good rod till i snapped lol

Return to “FISHING RODS FRESHWATER AND SALTWATER FISHING RODS GENERAL DISCUSSION”