rods for surface fishing

matt77
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

rods for surface fishing

Post by matt77 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:49 am

looking at getting a new rod mainly for surface fishing .what do you mainly look for ? rod lenght? rod action? also what leader would you prefer for surface .

HOTRODS

Post by HOTRODS » Thu May 01, 2008 9:02 am

ive been doing a lot of surface missions of late..using Squidg bugs, tiemco TT's and small poppers ect. was using my medium fast 6'10 but when i started having a solid play with my new rod (SSE701LXF) life was made a lot easier...more control i found..
so i would recommend a 7' fast to extra fast taper..this alowed me to high stick while retreving all, my presentations and with the tap of a finger or a squeeze on my hand in the grip i can impart very subtle actions on the lures while keeping them on the surface...

oh and most of this is shore based, but same rule applied when i was in the boat last weekend.

matt77
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by matt77 » Sat May 03, 2008 11:46 am

the rod i am looking at is a lamiglass certified pro. 662 with a short 4inch butt it's a med/fast action it's 6ft6 and i am going to match it up to 2000 sol

Return to “FISHING RODS FRESHWATER AND SALTWATER FISHING RODS GENERAL DISCUSSION”