New Rod Project

crusty
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: New Rod Project

Post by crusty » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:31 am

New update.
Put epoxy on Thursday night with the plan to fish it over the weekend.
Here's where you should say don't rush it, take your time, you idiot.
Mustn't have gotten the epoxy mix quite right (or not setting up the heater in the room) cause on Friday morning I touched the epoxy to find it still sticky. thubsdown

Oh well Saturday arvo comes and its still sticky but I'm itching to try it out. buggar it, I have to fix it anyway I'll take it out. No joy though couple of little taps on the tail of the wriggler. Caught a couple of bass and a small bream on a VX fished off another rod. No Damage but not christened.
On Sundaytook it out again this time down the mouth of the river. Picked up the rod for a cast and one of the guides is offset by about 15deg. thubsdown thubsdown. This rod building is harder than it looks. Oh well I'm out now, realign guide, fish around a few oyster encrusted poles. Was that a hit, yes oh buggar its only 10cm bream to christen the rod. Was hoping for some a little bigger. Picked up a 20ish cm bream on it a little later and dropped one substancially bigger.
Now the christening is out of the road I can settle down and fix the mess I've created. Epoxy is still tacky, sort of set but not.
Crusty, still a novice rod builder.

HOTRODS

Post by HOTRODS » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:29 am

got to mix it 50 / 50..thats why she isnt going off. you might have to re bind bythe sounds...oh and if you guide has moved that far by itself you binding isnt tight enough...
part from that how did it feel ???

crusty
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by crusty » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:20 pm

Felt great, throws light lures really well but easily handled the fish I hooked. Had a surprising amount of power.

I love the reverse grip design, very comfortable and the transmitted bites were great.

By rebind do you mean rebind the whole rod or just the one that moved. Probably better to do the lot I suppose.

Only the one guide moved. so I think the others were tight enough. Will have play tonight.

crusty

Damo

Post by Damo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:36 pm

-duh epoxy yes it's painful i've had the same problem but asked the question and it got answered by Perrie and i havn't had a problem since...Rebound a few rods it's great practice censored zippedsmilie

ben k
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ben k » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:30 pm

bugger, its not hard to get it wrong. theres a few things you can do so it wont happen again.
as Perrie said, need to make sure its 50/50, use a syringe or something to measure it out.
also, make sure you mix it thoroughly.
rod looks sweet though, well done!

__MATT__
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by __MATT__ » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:45 pm

Looks sweet crusty droolsmilie
If you dont mind me asking, out of interest how much did this end up coming to?? $$$$$
Cheers. Matt

crusty
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by crusty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:54 am

Sorry for the late reply Matt, snuck in a 2 week holiday where I didn't really have to touch a computer.

Blank was $140, butt kit was around $80, guides were about $60 in think. I already had the thread and epoxy from repairing other rods, so around $280. If you had to buy epoxy and stuff would be about $40 extra but they do more than one rod (unless you drop the glass bottle of thread filler on the tile floor).

Latest update, after my holiday I set to work last night to fix the movable guide. Cut it off and cleaned it up and bound it back on. Then all fired up I thought it would be a good idea to put on another coat of epoxy as the other coat still was taccy. Buggar, while wrapping the other guide back into position a couple of the wraps had a little spin in carpet rests and were now furry zippedsmilie zippedsmilie . Interesting effect but not what I was after. Cleaned up with Metho and they came up to what I thought was OK.

Mixed the new batch of epoxy (being extra extra careful about the 50:50 mix), then realised I hadn't sealled the new guide. Whack on sealer and hit with hair dryer. Carefully put a thin layer of epoxy over all the old wraps, do the new wrap last.

Result. A little rough, epoxy wouldn't sit right and has some little points and one has a big white section. Assume this is a bubble but it doesn't actually look like a bubble. But will be perfectly servicable. This lot of epoxy has set fine so I can't do anymore damage so will start fishing it and rebuild next winter I think.

Thanks for your help Hotrods. Now I need to catch a bream so I can try to take a photo to give myself a chance to win a rod like this one but built by a true professional.

Crusty

HOTRODS

Post by HOTRODS » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:09 am

ahh the trials and tribulations of epoxy ! shocking stuff !!!

glad to hear you got it to lock up Crusty...hey and you dont need to won one..BUILD YOUR OWN ! lol

crusty
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by crusty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:13 am

I'm pretty sure the one your offering will be minus the furry guides which would be a bit of plus.

A mate was talking about doing a matt finish rod, the furry guides might be useful for him. lol

Crusty
rod builder (Mr Bean style)

HOTRODS

Post by HOTRODS » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:18 am

fur in the resin is a custom option...additional cost of course !!! lol

matt finish hu ? to cut down on glare i suppose ? tell him to just go fishing at night..helps with the glare issue a lot thumbsupsmilie

Return to “CUSTOM MADE FISHING RODS OR YOUR OWN ROD YOU HAVE MADE”