New Rod Project

crusty
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

New Rod Project

Post by crusty » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:32 pm

Have been thinking about building a rod for a while now and tossing up which way to go.
Today acquired a Hasting PUR70UL yay yay yay and some alconite guides to start with.
Mo tackle didn't have any of the IPS reel seats in stock, which may have been a blessing in disguise.
I was thinking on thr way home that I'd heard a bit about VSS reel seats but don't really know what the difference between them and the IPS is? Looking to do a split grip set up.
Anyone help me out?

ben k
Rookie
Rookie

Re: New Rod Project

Post by ben k » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:56 pm

g'day crusty,
good choice of blank ! thumbsupsmilie i just got a 2pce version of the same blank....sweet.
did u get a VSS reel seat?
i dont think they make the ips any more, the VSS is an improvement on the ips.
if you are looking at doing the vss though, im not sure if you are able to get cork for them in aust. yet?? wasnt available when i got mine anyway.
the camo eva is a good option though.
i'm doing a couple ATM with the same setup, vss/ split grip.

HR also uses the VSS on his rods.

ben.

HOTRODS

Post by HOTRODS » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:34 pm

who ME !

the IPS WAS available in standard graphite and the soft texture feel (FK5-IPS) that s what i WAS using till the FK5 version stoped...standard version is still in production and all the molded grips on black EVA and cork are / should be still available (was 3 weeks ago)

the newly released VSS in the soft texture finiah has taken the place as thew deluxe model...comming in a 16 and 17mm pipe with KDPS hood...

the VSs-SD (standard nut and standard graphite ) is available in japan, just have to purchase a KDPS hood for it to bring it up to the same specs...

bit confusing i know...
best bet is get onto Ross Van @ the ROD Works as he will have all that in stock and mail orders out quick smart...

for the 70UL you should order a kit as follows - IPSSE(S) = IPS S - split grips E - economy (S) - silver checks or (B) for blue checks as the brushed stainless hood with the gold checks looks povo...silver and blue look great...
with a 14mm butt check, 13mm rear check and a 13mm hood check this alows you room to fit a bind under each check to fit it snuglu...you NEV ER want the alloy check hard up agains the blank as it wont distort like the blank does under presure and can damage the blank wall...

keep us up to speed as to how your going !!! thumbsupsmilie

that should get you up to scratch and welcome you to eh hastings club in no time !!!

crusty
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by crusty » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:58 pm

Thanks guys,

will go with silver checks as they will match better with the Daiwa Advantage that will live on it.

Crusty

Will post picks as I go. Might take a little while as work is a tad crazy at the moment.

splashy
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by splashy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:55 am

work? work? Fishing comes first. Stop making excuses and phaffing around and get on with it. I wanna see how the build goes... hee hee nahnah
who? me?

crusty
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by crusty » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:36 am

Hit Snag,
Shop sent the wrong size winding checks, so unless I want to mount the handle about half way up the rod will have too wait for new ones.

Thanks for your help so far Hot Rods. I sent the shop the details of the checks required from your post, but they thought they new better than a real Professional. New ones are on there way, sent yesterday so hopefully today I will have them and can play on the weekend.

Crusty

ben k
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ben k » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:54 pm

g'day crusty,
thats gota suck! thubsdown
what model real seat and grips did you end up going for?

ben.

crusty
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by crusty » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Have the economy IPS split grip with silver checks.

Epoxied the guides on the fly rod I rebuilt this week today and discovered that the colour preserver stuff does a good job. Thought this morning "I have time to do the epoxy today, but I haven't done the colour preserver. Can't change that much". Good news is the black bits of the wraps didn't change colour. The red I used for most of the guides is now a very browny red now. oopssmilie

It still doesn't look too bad. Its a brown blank and the browny red goes probably better than the bright red it was before. thumbsupsmilie

Its was good practice. Prefer to duff it on this rod than the hastings blank.

Chris

crusty
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by crusty » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:46 pm

Ok, got handle bits and spent last night playing with them.
Have borrowed (stolen) Hotrod's handle design thumbsupsmilie because I like the extra sensitivity theory of having the fixed part of the hood where my index finger sits, and I reckon it looks very cool.
Spent some time with file and utility knife and sand paper (in trouble for this cause the sawdust ended up all over the carpet) to produce the following.
hastings butt.JPG
Haven't glued anything yet.

So far I'm very happy. Feels very light. Is going to cause big problems because I think I might have to upgrade my other bream rods too now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HOTRODS

Post by HOTRODS » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:05 pm

seen 1 just like that recently ! susssmilie

custo rods macro 002.jpg

thumbsupsmilie looks good buddy, ripping off is the kindest form of loss of income, i mean flatery ! lol

now the FUN part..binding ! woohahaahhha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “CUSTOM MADE FISHING RODS OR YOUR OWN ROD YOU HAVE MADE”