Making topwater chuggers from round timber dowels

diemai
Master
Master

Making topwater chuggers from round timber dowels

Post by diemai » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:53 am

G'day , people ,

Spent some time at the computer again tonight to put together some older pictures to make up for a new "How-To" , ...this time dealing on "Lucky13"-style topwater lures , .......but which would also dive down to about 40 to 60 cms(please read my Youtube describtion as well) .

These old style US bass plugs have proven to be excellent pike lures over here in Central Europe , .......during the warm season May thru October I never hit the water's edge without one or two in my tackle box !

Probably they'd work on your local species Down Under as well , .......I'd almost bet they would lol thumbsupsmilie !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-USADEhn43I

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Tincan
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Making topwater chuggers from round timber dowels

Post by Tincan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:18 pm

Nice work again, love some of the ideas for the paint work (vertical stripped one looks cool).
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

SNAFU
Rookie
Rookie
Mood:

Post by SNAFU » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:38 am

Yeh excellent as usual dieter...inspired me to have a go at a few myself...thanks for sharing your You Tube.... clapclap

SNAF!!!

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks a lot , mates bowsmilie bowsmilie !

@ Tincan

That stripe pattern ist quite easy to do , ....spray one , two or even three base colors , let cure thoroughly and just slide over some rubber-O-rings firmly to spray over with a darker color .

Wait about 24hrs to remove the rings by cutting them apart with a pointed scalpel-type balsa knife , ......just slide the blade point underneath the ring carefully and lead your cut away from the lureblank , peel off rubber remainders and carefully wipe off loose paint remainders with your fingertip so they won't get to stick randomly on your lure when finally topcoating .

@ SNAFU

Make sure , that your timber material ist sufficiently buoyant , .........you can also do pure topwater lures this way , .....these chuggers pop on a jerk but dive down to about 0,5m pulling a bubble trace , .....you'd let them rise back to surface again to repeat the "jerk-and-retrieve" action every two to five metres of the retrieve path , ....deadly on local pike over here .

But for poppers I would not taper the tail on dead center as shown , but place the point of the tail downward , almost at the lowest possible spot , .......works the same manner as shown in the video , only requires somewhat different marker lines .
This is particular important when using a tail prop , because when the tip of tail is lower than the center of the round lurebody , the circular force of the prop tending to lay the lure on it's side on retrieve becomes less .

Be sure , that the upper lip point is longer than the lower one(vice versa compared to the chugger shown) , ........also the line tie should be placed in dead center of the cupped face , not slightly above like shown with this chugger .

For a louder pop you may also indent the poppers face with an oval "Dremel" router bit , afterwards sand the indention smooth .

Good luck , .....cheers , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”