Seeing what all of you make inspired me to give it a try

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Seeing what all of you make inspired me to give it a try

Post by Charged » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:36 am

Looking through all your pictures, I see some great looking lures being made. I decided to give it a shot for myself, to test the waters on what I might be able to make. I started carving this a few hours ago from a busted broom handle. Its not done being shaped yet, but here are a few photos of today's progress. I'll be open to hearing any suggestions moving forward with this project.

I'f I can't get it to swim right; (From looking at these picks, I just realized now that it might make a nice icecream scoop.) cww

Also tied about a dozen flies out of beercaps. The varnish is still drying, that's why there hung up in the basement.

Sort of what I'd call an abstract minnow profile.

Last edited by Charged on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

diemai
Master
Master

Re: Seeing what all of you make inspired me to give it a try

Post by diemai » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:52 am

@ Charged

The mouth portion is just like a "Bass Oreno" , a proven lure over decades .

Despite of the narrowed body portion behind the head it might as well swim like a "Bass Oreno" if the tow eye would be placed at the right spot on the cupped diving vane , ...the center of the eye should be located right dead on the lengthwise central axis of the lure or just a little tad below , never higher !

One hook eye on belly and one on the very tip of the tail , ........any added ballast would possibly spoil the action after my experience with such round plugs with integrated diving vanes .

good luck , .....greetz , diemai howdy

PS :

I'm afraid that an uncurable desease has finally struck you , ........it's called lurecarving lol !
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:15 am

Thanks for the sugestion on the scew eye placement Diemai. The Bass Oreno was excatly the look I was going for, until I got all crazy and decided to carve in some gills.

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:38 am

Just worked on it some more, I guess my next step will be to see how she swims before any sealing and painting.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Charged wrote:Just worked on it some more, I guess my next step will be to see how she swims before any sealing and painting.

Very nice , mate , thumbsupsmilie ........but give it at least a temporary clear , -or primercoat , before exposing it to water , you can buff that one later for applying further coats .

Or you may seal the entire body by dipping it into a woodsealer or thninned modelling dope , this extends the lifetime of a timber lure , should the topcoat get damaged later .

If you don't do nothing to your blank , the moisture will raise the woodgrain and you'd have to go through a lot of sanding again , not to talk about the longer wait to proceed with painting , as the timber has to dry thoroughly before .

I like your bottle cap lures , ........seen such on Youtube before , but yours look a lot better with their tied tails thumbsupsmilie !

good luck , diemai howdy

FLASH
Rookie
Rookie
Mood:

Post by FLASH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Man you must have some mean fish where you live charged . That thing is gunna smash them for sure . Well done and cant wait for the finished product
FLASH
Fishing the tasmanian streams is more a passion then a sport , My wife thinks its an affair.

SNAFU
Rookie
Rookie
Mood:

Post by SNAFU » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:12 am

thumbsupsmilie how good is that for just a few hrs work on your first time,mate i want to see it painted up and a pic of a big GT or a mack hanging onto it....well done...liking your bottle top ones as well charged...ya got a thumbsupsmilie from me...

SNAF!!!

Pecheur
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pecheur » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi there,

This look very promising to me...
clapclap

Ho, and as I have never done a lure myself, this is just from and aesthetic point of view.

Have a good day,
Pecheur

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks for the confidence boost guys (this is all just for fun). I haven't had the time to work on the lure since it's initial carving. I just recently started working for an American child company that some of you German folk might be acquainted with, "Deutsche Telekom". As with any new job. there is a learning curve that I will need to re-aquatint myself with. So I've been spending my free time familiarizing myself with my new job responsibilities.

I'm going to have to rework the dig of the lip, it's not biting into the water as much as I would like. My next step will be raising the screw eye a bit, if that doesn't work I'll end up cutting the lip at a steeper angle or possibly shortening the rear end of the lure to lighten it up.

Until I find the time to finish this project, here is a pic of a few old junk rapala's that I recently repainted. I'm planing to use the same type of finish on this latest lure.

This latest carving is my largest homemade lure project to date. In the past I have mostly just purchased vintage junkers on e-bay, and then attempted to clean them up. The lures that have deteriorated past the point of claenup have received a re-paint with my amateur skills. About 20 years ago, I used to work as a janitor at a friends fathers auto body shop, and have since collected some equipment, and pointers. I'm definitely still an amateur at all of this.

As always, I'm going to leave myself open to any suggestions that may help me be successful with this latest project.

*Note:* To tell you the truth, I've never been able to verify these lures as real Rapalas, but they all have Rapala lips. So either somebody made them along time ago with Rapala lips, or they are really old Rapalas. The reason I re-painted them, is that they were obviously poorly spray painted before I purchased them. I wanted to keep the traditional red gills and yellow eyes, but also make them look as nice as I'm capable.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:26 pm

@ Charged

My brother works for that company as well , and I'm their customer , ....... good luck with your new job thumbsupsmilie .

The difficulties with your lure may have nothing to do with the angle of the cupped diving bill or the line tie position , ........it can be simply the fatter head portion providing an extended buoancy thus hinders the lure to duck under properly ?

Does it float up level or slightly head-up , .......and how much of it's body still sticks out ?

I've learned , that adding extra ballast to such plugs with integrated diving bills most likely does minimize their wobbling action , .........but I've only tried it a few times , ..........but I'm thinking that if one places the ballast deep inside , right on the level of the central axis it should be neutral in terms of a roll pivoting around the central axis ?

Not quite sure though , never tried , .....only always used to place ballast rather more towards the belly outline , which never worked too well on this kinda plugs !

These repaints of yours are looking very nice , ...I like that glitter finish , ....don't be too humble about your painting skills , mate thumbsupsmilie !

They really do look like old "Rapalas" , I have one like this as well somewhere , .........were they poorly sprayed by a fisherman or right from the manufacturer ?

Some of the wire eyes do rather look like screw eyes to me rather than the typical Rapala thru-wire forms , .........maybe they really are good knock-off's with original bibs marked "Rapala" , ...never heard , that this Finnish manufacturer did use screw eyes on any of their lures ?

Probaly post them in the Rapala section as well , maybe some other fellas might know better ?

greetz , Dieter howdy

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”