My 1st handmade lure.

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

My 1st handmade lure.

Post by Charged » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:52 pm

I don't think I ever posted this one before, and it has never caught a fish. I made this one as a young boy about 30 years ago.

My Father made plans to take me on my first week long canoe trip up in Quetico's Provincial Park, and at the time I have never caught a northern pike yet. Well I got excited, and pulled out my Swiss army knife and attacked a branch off one of the trees in the back yard. The eyes are beads from my moms craft box, The lure now looks green, but was originally painted silver. I also remember that the mouth was painted with my moms red nail polish, and that I got in trouble for using 1/2 a bottle of her clearcoat nail polish when I finished off the rest of the lure.

I now have the lure hanging up in a display cabinet. I don't even think I was 10 years old when I made this lure.

diemai
Master
Master

Re: My 1st handmade lure.

Post by diemai » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 pm

@ Charged

Nice story about your first homemade lure thumbsupsmilie , .........welcome to LureAndMore , mate , ........great to have another pike fisherman aboard .

Now well , .......I'm sure , that you've caught a few pike since lol , ....have you also carved a few lures since as well ?

What are your favourite pike lures over there in Canada ?

Cheers , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:34 am

I haven't carved any more wood ones, but have made some spoons, spinners, fly's, and other misc lures. For years my favorite Northern Pike lure has been the Bomber Long A, on my last trip I brought along a Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow and really liked it. On that trip it out fished all my other lures, and landed my largest northern to date.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:08 pm

@ Charged

..............thanks for info , mate , ....I've caught my biggest northern on a homemade version of the "Joe Bucher's Depthraider" , .......but you can't say , that I have any favourite pike lure , got far too many lures to use lol ,...really depends on the type of water and season of year .

I have my trusty homemade "DinnerBell"-spoon , that does not only catch pike , but also perch , zander and even trout ,...... also good pike catching memories with American "Eppinger" spoons and off course the tratidional German "Effzett" spoon and some of it's knock-off's , .........as far as for crankbaits , I can mention the "Rapala SuperShadRap" , the floating version for shallower and the sinking version for deep water up to 15m(45 feet) to be a perfect pike lure, but I've also caught them on various other crankbaits .

What kinda spoons did you make ??? , ........I have probably made dozens of dozens of casting spoons during more than 20 years of lurebuilding , also spinners(don't fish these that much anymore for some reason) , .......and spoons are my most used lures up to know , I guess .

greetz , diemai howdy

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:04 pm

The stuff I have made is very amateur, I've just taken come common house hold Items and turned a few of them into lures. Most of the stuff I have made is flies. Here is an example of some of the most recent.

As you can see I'm not much of a builder, but I think it's fun to try and catch a fish on something that has been homemade.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:30 pm

@ Charged

Nice stuff , mate , .......naturally I'm particulary interested in casting spoons , ....I see , that you're also cutting them from sheet metal and cupping them by hand , .......are these made from stainless steel sheet ?

That spoon on bottom left looks pretty interesting to me , .....looks a bit like a flounder attractor spoon available over here at the coasts of northern Germany , ...but I guess , that you're using it on other predators like pike , bass , perch and walleye , are you ?

Here are some of my own homemade spoons :

http://www.lureandmore.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7333

http://www.lureandmore.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=6278

http://www.lureandmore.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4744

http://www.lureandmore.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=5346

I must still build some more of my "DinnerBell" spoons for the 2012 season starting May 1st(local predators closing time now)to replace losses of last year , ..most of my favourite colors are already gone and I won't like to go without these proven catchers .

greetz , diemai howdy

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:14 am

Your spoons look really nice.

You asked what mine were made of, the one on the lower left is made out of aluminum, it weighs .24oz. I wanted something light to trail behind a Canoe. The other spoon on the right, was made from a kitchen spoon and it weighs .53oz. The spoons were shaped with a auto body hammer set, and a vice/anvil.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:23 am

@ Charged

Thanks for info , mate bowsmilie , ........I'm using ball peen hammers as well to furnish the final cuppings of my spoons , also on a tempered steel plate , ........but I'd pre-shape the initial cupping by beating the flat blank into an indention furnished into a piece of hardwood , ......comes in pretty hard with 1,5 mm or even 2,0 mm stainless steel sheet .

greetz , diemai howdy

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”