Home made lures on the "Tyenna" .

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Home made lures on the "Tyenna" .

Post by Tyenna Dave » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Been testing a few more home made lures with some good results .
Only had the chance to have a couple quick flicks and never had time to test the little brown trout before the rain set in .
I did have the chance to give it a few casts before i left to check out the action on the lure and it was spot on :)
The little brown trout .
A quick test of this 4cm number produced a good 2lb brown .
Next to be tested was the 65mm baby atlantic .
The fish loved this lure and a few were caught quite quickly .
5lb Atlantic on Atlantic :)
Another 65mm model done the job with a deeper diving bib .
The pair of recent 65mm lures .
Dave ...

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:15 pm

Looks like you've hit it straightaway with your new creations , ....great stuff thumbsupsmilie !

Are they of timber or PVC , ......at least fishies do love them thumbsupsmilie ?

Welldone lures , mate thumbsupsmilie , .........greetz , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:43 pm

Cheers Dieter !
Still from Balsa at present but with a different clear coat .The acrylic clear looks alot nicer than the urathane .
Going to try a hard resin finish next week but unsure of what product to use ???
Dave ...

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Tyenna Dave wrote:Cheers Dieter !
Still from Balsa at present but with a different clear coat .The acrylic clear looks alot nicer than the urathane .
Going to try a hard resin finish next week but unsure of what product to use ???
Dave ...

I'm using marine grade and fast curing epoyxy clear , has a processing time of only 20 min after mixing before slowly starting to turn to jelly !

Most epoxy topcoat mixtures cure a lot slower , so the use of a lure rotator is essential to prevent dripping , .....with my stuff I only have to switch the lures round from head to tail within 30 to 40 mins in my drying rack , after the coat is firm enough not to cause drips on the bottom end anymore , ..............after 24 hours I apply a second layer .

But the slow curing epoxy coats drying in a rotator do provide thicker coats , .......but I reckon you do not need such for pure trout lures ?

Greetz , Dieter howdy

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanx for that info Dieter !
Have tried an epoxy finished head on a lure and it was good for durability but still the bigger fish can rip into it at times .
Was looking at a hard resin finish similar to a Rapala .
Mates a fibreglasser and reckons there are a few new types of resins on the market these days that might do the job .
Thinking of trying a UV cure resin some surfboard makers are using .
Dave ...

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:04 am

@ Tyenna Dave

............never heard of such UV curing surfboard stuff , I guess , ........but it definately sounds promising !

Dunno 'bout the topcoat on "Rapalas" , ...they're keeping secrets about it(I have a DVD showing their lure works in Finland , but in there the production manager insisted on not filming the painting and topcoating department) .

But I know , that many Finnish lure carvers use clear concrete laquer(the kind to seal off concrete floors) to dip on a durable topcoat , .......I have some homemadies from over there , that stuff really cures rock hard , ........sadly I do not know many details other than they dip their lures for several times , always on a still tacky previous coat for perfect adhesion .

good luck , ...greetz , Dieter howdy

ocd1688
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ocd1688 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:36 am

You are a real gun fisherman Dave clapclap clapclap clapclap
nice lures too mate. thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie

Albert

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Cheers Albert ,much appreciated and thanx again for the info Dieter !
Rapala finishes are fantastic and its a pitty it is all kept a secret .
Will also check out the concrete floor finish materials available here and see if they are compatable with doing lure finishes .
So many products to consider ??? :)
Dave ...

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Tyenna Dave wrote:Cheers Albert ,much appreciated and thanx again for the info Dieter !
Rapala finishes are fantastic and its a pitty it is all kept a secret .
Will also check out the concrete floor finish materials available here and see if they are compatable with doing lure finishes .
So many products to consider ??? :)
Dave ...

Yeah , ...sorry , Dave , but that Finnish friend , that I've contacted in terms of that concrete laquer , was unable to give me more details , ..either he was also beating about the bush or it was lack of knowledge of the English language ?

This concrete laquer is available in one, -or two components , ...he stated , that for dipping it has to be thinned to the consistency of horse pee lol , .......he would dip 6 to 8 times .

He's storing the thinned laquer in glass jugs with a clamped glass lid on top , ......but he would put a plastic bag inbetween jug and lid , so that the laquer cannot bind the two parts , ......also serves as a seal , I suppose !

He would also dip in that jug , ...prior one can always add some thinner and stir to get the right consistency .

I have looked around in tool marts over here , .....could not find any suitable stuff , as it was ALL in colors , no clear available there , ......guess , that one's gotta look for and contact a specialized supplier ?

greetz , Dieter howdy

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:20 am

Nice lures Dave and I think I will have to knock up some Atlantic patterns - simple and look good.

That concrete finishing clears sounds good and I will try to talk to one of my concreting mates and see whats available. My advice Dave is to find what works and stick with it because I have found over the years that a change of paint or clears can sometimes mean that I have problems with other parts of the process.

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”