Home made lures on the "Tyenna" .

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Home made lures on the "Tyenna" .

Post by Tyenna Dave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Have been making a few lures of late due to a few injuries that have kept me from fishing .
Not all was lost though as i did manage to test a few this week in two short stints .
The fish were on the chew so testing lures worked out quite well !
The 4.5cm yellow mauler done the job but wasn't exactly what they were after, though two fish were caught with this little number .
The 5cm gold bomber was a little too bright for the conditions earlier in the week but still i managed another two fish .
One fish from my 3cm midget :)
The new F7 replica was a goer taking a few fish quite quickly .
It was time to test the 4cm red/white minnow .Have swam this lure at Pedder before but never in the "T" .
It took this big girl before being busted off by another in the same hole .
Very disapointed to loose the lure more than the fish .
It must of been a winner as i had flicked another lure for no joy and the red machine was taken on the first and third casts !
Had to get a Lox shot :)
Self timer shot .
Nearly ready to swim free .
A pose i stole and now use often ,thanks to the nice camera work of Harry j of NW Tas :D
Dave ...

diemai
Master
Master

Re: Home made lures on the "Tyenna" .

Post by diemai » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:24 pm

@ Tyenna Dave

Very nice trout and also nice little lures thumbsupsmilie , ...........I'm carving a few smaller trout lures these days as well , ....it's a finger breaking job to me , I'd use double time compared to an "average" sized blanks .

I have two little bug blanks so far , ...only gonna rig one hook to them , .......carvers that make such tiny lures with even two hooks assembled earn my full admiration !

cheers , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanx Diemai !
Those little 3cm jobs are tough to fit two hooks onto though i did manage to get the spacing right .
Small #14 VMC trebles were used to get them to fit and i made a special trip into the tackle store to buy a pack or two (2 hour round trip).
They are now very expensive treble hooks with the added fuel costs ,Ha Ha !
And there was no finger busting as the small ones are made from Balsa :)
Is that cheating ? LOL !
Dave ...

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:22 pm

@ Tyenna Dave

.............two hours ride, ........the things we do for lures -duh lol !

I haven't worked with balsa that much so far , too soft for my taste , .........second thing is , that I never was in need of a very buoyant material for such tiny lures , ....but now I've joined another fishing club , in their waters I have chances to catch trout and even salmon(quite rare around here) , so I'm giving it a go on smaller homemades as well now .

But rather than balsa I much prefer making them out of PVC hardfoam , same buoyancy like balsa , but easier to work down in my opinion , ...no woodgrain to care about whilst carving and sands like a dream , yet durable enough to hold epoxied screw eyes when neccesssary .

But best thing is that this stuff is not vulnerable to water sepage at all , ...to balance the lures with lead ballast I can just throw them in a water bucket straightaway , ..I may even dry them with a hair dryer afterwards and procceed with glueing in the ballast and wire forms almost immediately .

Only drawbacks are the occassionally enclosed small airbubbles inside of the PVC board , ......but if desired , some putty takes care of these .

Here are the first two of my small lures so far , I had already tested the "bug" in the tub , ....it swims pretty fine , .......the "hornet" blank I just carved yesterday at work , did fit in the bib , wireform and ballast this morning , ....now awaiting the glue !
PIC_0004-1.JPG
But I don't think , that I could still go any smaller than this lol !

Cheers , Dieter howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanx for the PVC tips Dieter !
I have never seen PVC board used for making lures but it sounds as if it has all the qualities one looks for in a material .
I love the little trouting lures you have whipped up !
The Hornet has one big bend in its shape ,how deep do you think it will go ??
They look like garaunteed fish catchers, very nice !!!
Dave ...

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Tyenna Dave wrote:Thanx for the PVC tips Dieter !
I have never seen PVC board used for making lures but it sounds as if it has all the qualities one looks for in a material .
I love the little trouting lures you have whipped up !
The Hornet has one big bend in its shape ,how deep do you think it will go ??
They look like garaunteed fish catchers, very nice !!!
Dave ...

They use it in the US for multi-sectioned swimbaits quite a bit , ......no hazzles about possible water sepage with all of their joints and hinges .

Hard to find over here , unlike in the USA it's not used for building construction locally , .......one guy on a German site used to sell scrap pieces from his work , ......he said , that it was used for insulation of refridgerators .

Guess , that there are differnt qualities and densities around , ...but this stuff I have is just the real deal , .......not that much suited for big and voluminous lures , as one needs a lot of space for lead ballast , ....one issue about these swimbaits .

Would have loved to assemble a little wider bib to the hornet , but ran out of suitable polycarbonate pieces right now(did not want to use aluminium sheet for weight reasons), hope it would work with that narrower one as well , ......guess , that it might go down 1,5 metres like this , ........I've learned , that pronounced curved lurebodies do not dive quite as deep as rather straight ones would with a comparable bib size and angle .

off to lateshift now puke , ....cheers , Dieter howdy

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Nice peice of info there Dieter !
I learn something new every time i visit this site :)
Will do a little research here and see if the right PVC material is available in Aus .
Had no idea a bent profile would not dive as deep as a straight profile .
Very good info and it should help with my own craetions !!!
Thanx again ,
Dave ...

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:37 am

Tyenna Dave wrote:Nice peice of info there Dieter !
I learn something new every time i visit this site :)
Will do a little research here and see if the right PVC material is available in Aus .
Had no idea a bent profile would not dive as deep as a straight profile .
Very good info and it should help with my own craetions !!!
Thanx again ,
Dave ...

........guess , that everyone with a good knowledge in physics would kick my butt for this explanation -duh , but I see it this way lol :

A curvy lurebody leads to a pronounced and strong wobble , whereas a rather straight-bodied , minnow-style blank wiggles more moderately , ......so I think , that somehow this stronger wobble and vibration creates a kinda lift to the lure not allowing it to dig as deep as it's more slender cousin(provided bib size and angle and also remaining buoancy are comparable) .

I had also observed this feature on another occassion many years ago , .........once I've made two round-bodied lures out of a broomstick , both almost equal(within the typical boundaries of pure handwork) in their dimensions and buoancy , ....both had an aluminium screw-on bib of same size and angle with the line tie mounted on it , ........BUT , .........one of these lures was a one piece blank and the other cut apart about two thirds of the length from the head to make up for a jointed lure !

So guess what , .........the one piece lure dug about twice as deep compared to the jointed one , but which of course had a much livelier "snake" swimming motion , the one-piece just sported a moderate roll and "X"-ing motion .

It's been many years ago , but I was pretty much surprised to see this , so I still remember ,....... though I seem not to have these lures anymore .

Dave , ....if possible try to get your hands on such PVC material before purchasing it finally , .......as I said , there are different densities around and you would not want to get stuff not suitable .

Just came across this vid some days ago , .......the insulation material , this Irish fella is using , seems to be way softer compared to PVC decking , thus he's covering the finished blank with some kinda resin to provide a sort of a shell or casing around the softer core (European pike might shred that material with ease being in a pure condition).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH4rfkYq4YA

With PVC hardfoam such won't be neccessary , probably only some filler or thick primer paint required to sand a smooth surface , if the material should turn out to be of a more porous kind (I also have some samples of this type that someone from the USA has sent to me before).

good luck , .....cheers , Dieter howdy

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:26 pm

More handy info Dieter !
Intersting how the jointed lure did not dive as deep as the one peice .I will have to experiment myself and see how deep my new jointed creation dives when i make a replica one peice in the same profile .
I do also coat my balsa lures with a metholated spirit based primer that fills quite deep holes and sands up a treat .
Being a Painter & Decorator it was a simple choice to use this paint for a filler .
Might go well filling in the holes on the PVC material as it dries rather quickly also .
Thanx for the info and i will have a look at the you-tube clip too :)
Dave ...

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:11 am

@ Tyenna Dave

I'm using an acrylic primer on all of my lures , .....nothing special , just the ordinary stuff from the tool mart .

Haven't tried it yet , but probably solvent based primer might affect the PVC surface , ......gotta try on a scrap piece first .

To fill those bigger airbubbles occasionally appearing on a PVC blank's surface I'd just gather some PVC sawdust from around my vise and mix it with my epoxy glue to make up for a kinda putty , file and sand it flush after curing .

Cheers , Dieter howdy

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”