Hours of carving

diemai
Master
Master

Hours of carving

Post by diemai » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:57 pm

G'day , folks ,

Just got done with this approx. 14cms abachiwood blank , .......I've been carving on it for a couple of hours at work last week , .....only bib slot , belly slot and eye sockets were made with power tools , ....all the general shape done with carving knife , sandpaper and elbow grease lol !

The eyes consist of plastic beads , that I've stuck onto a piece of rigid wire to grind away the inner half of that bead to snugly sit in the countersunk socket(will be glued in after painting but prior to topcoating) .

Sadly one socket came off course a bit , so the eyes are not quite symetrical , ....but it's still OK .

The bib consists of 3mm thick lexan .

This morning before lateshift I'm gonna bend the three-hook wire form , after the blank would soak in a 50/50 solution of turpentine and boiled linseed oil for a few days to render the abachiwood waterproof , ..........a time consuming process , as the drying afterwards takes at least two weeks , most likely longer .

We do not have such giant grubs over here , so this lure does not resemble a natural prey of local pike , ....but I just thought , I might do another "out of the box"-lure for our pressured waters , ..............already working on a similar second lure , a monster larva this time , but still way smaller than this one , ...........great fun carving thumbsupsmilie !
PIC_0017-1.JPG
greetz , diemai howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

LaPala
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Hours of carving

Post by LaPala » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Great carving there Dieter. thumbsupsmilie I can imagine how difficult it is to get those segments done just by hand.
I better not continue writing, mind is wandering off toward some lewd male symbol comments... smckin lol lol

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:45 pm

LaPala wrote:Great carving there Dieter. thumbsupsmilie I can imagine how difficult it is to get those segments done just by hand.
I better not continue writing, mind is wandering off toward some lewd male symbol comments... smckin lol lol

.................thanks mate , ...it really is quite elaborate to carve those segments , but it helps me to get through my lateshifts(often have some time to spare whilst all my CNC grinding machines are running)and I enjoy the carving pretty much , .....more than working at least lol !

And don't you worry about these certain thoughts , .......my workmates have already made some remarks whether I'm into changing my trades from lures into certain kinda "toys" lol lol !

Cheers , Dieter howdy

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Well done mate!
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

Vodkaman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vodkaman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:37 pm

It looks great, nice carving.

There is a lot of money in adult toys (so I was told), worth consideration. I hope your boss doesn't find this site smckin

Dave

SNAFU
Rookie
Rookie
Mood:

Post by SNAFU » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:27 am

Nice work again there Dieter,looking forward to seeing the finished product..... thumbsupsmilie

SNAF!!!

SolarFall
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by SolarFall » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:09 am

that thing must have taken you a hell of a long time to do, you should have made it into a 30cm version for multipurpose use if you get my drift lol :D
my awesome youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/SolarBaits

Poolie
tradie
tradie

Post by Poolie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:15 am

Nice work and I love the bib shape, it's head looks like Kermit and would look awesome bright green wwnk
CARVE IT UP!

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:35 am

@diemai . . .

Very nice work there and really showing your carving skill and PATIENCE clapclap

There a few guys who carve or used to carve 'grub' style lures that imitate or look a bit like the 'Bardi grub' and Wattle grub' which have big thick segmented bodies like that. Number one bait over here for some native fish and also for massive trout in Tasmania where 'grubbing' is the first choice for the old time fishermen who find a deep river hole, find a big juicy wattle grub, drown the grub and sink it to the bottom of the hole and wait for the big bite.

Nice lure and should dive deep thumbsupsmilie

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks a lot , fellas , ........right now that grub soaks in its linseedoil solution until Monday/Tuesday or so !

But I have already completed a similar lure blank , also of abachiwood , but only 11.5cms in length .

I'm a bit concerned that it's neck became a bit thin , hope it won't snap off with a better fish on it(the thru-wire would still hold up , anyway) .

@ Vodkaman
...........Dave , don't think , my boss would show up in here lol , in fact my carving work makes me to produce a bit more at work , as I don't want anybody to say that because of it I'm lazy wwnk !

@ MXB

Should try to put on some grubs or caterpillars on the hook for bait as well some times , ....dunno whether I've said it before , but I've recently joined a new fishing club , in their waters I have the chance to catch wild trout , seatrout and even salmon as well .

@ Poolie

I have a hole coffee tin can full of aluminium bib , spoon and spinnerblade templates , all made through 20 years of luremaking .

These are my sources for marking bib shapes on lexan sheets , ....off course I sometimes make new templates as well .

Such kinda "triangular" bibs are said to help the lure bounce off obstacles better than rather round bibs , ........also because it is a bit narrower , it would provide a tighter wiggle not as intense , I guess , .........these deep divers I'd most likely use in autumn and towards winter , as fish migrate to deeper spots and also lures are required to have a bit more of a moderate action , as the water temps constantly chill down by this time of year and fish , both predators and prey , do not act that lively anymore as they would during summer .
PIC_0003-1.JPG
PIC_0004-1.JPG
greetz , Dieter howdy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”