Please dont laugh!

loomis
Expert
Expert

Please dont laugh!

Post by loomis » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 pm

In the spare time I have been cutting, shaping, making eyes, drilling, gluing, priming, painting and clear coating....these are the results.

None have been named yet, but that can come later. Before you scroll down and see the paintwork designs I have come up with, please note that all the advice I got from different lure makers (current and retired) contained one similar line...."Have fun!"....So I am!

This was my first design. With a body length of just 35mm, I figured one treble on the bum would be enough. This has a wicked wobble and in the pool it dives to about 3'. However, I think it would get down a little deeper with normal longer casts.

The base colour is purple, with the patterns originally done in white, then lightly painted over with purple.

The next is a simple minnow style. A body length of 75mm, and there are already plans for a smaller version. Thinking about 50mm would be ideal. A tighter shimmy is produced from this one. Used the same technique to paint these ones, just using different base coat and top coat colours.

The 3rd off the rank, is a lure based around the RMG Poltergeist. Not an exact copy, but the influence is there. To be honest, I wouldnt have a clue on the action of this lure, as I had a quick change of plan when I was gluing in the bibs. Will have to wait and see I guess.

The last one is strongly based on the 'Humpty' by Rob Gaden. I picked this one, because it was a larger profile, but still well within Bass size. I have actually tested this one yet, but it should swim....I hope! This paintwork was requested by my 8yo daughter, and who can say no to that!

The first batch contains about 15 lures all up, but there are my favourites so far. The next batch of ten are waiting for better weather so they can be clear coated and bibs glued in.

I am open to hints and tips, so if you spot something that isnt quite right, please let me know. But I cant wait for the Bass season to open and catch a few on my own lures.

The overcast conditions werent great for taking the pics, as the colours dont really shine like the real things...I will take some pics of the next batch in better conditions.

Leigh.
Last edited by loomis on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aussbasstony wrote: Hey Brolly,
But i do like your Bums mate smckin lol

hazmail
Expert
Expert

Re: Please dont laugh!

Post by hazmail » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Leigh- the only person laughing will be you, when you snare some fish on these !! - great colours and great work. As for going to 50mm, just remember the smaller you go the harder they get, but as you say for bream etc it seems to be the best size.
Pete

Rupe
Master
Master

Post by Rupe » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:13 pm

censored nice work mate! love the flames & the star stencil is a winner I reckon...

Where are you getting laser cut bibs from??????
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

jimmymate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jimmymate » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:28 pm

thumbsupsmilie awesome job Leigh I reckon they look great, especially the star patterns on that last lure. Keep up the good work and be sure to post pictures of the rewards you will get when you get them into the water come bass season. clapclap

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:13 pm

@ loomis

This is yet another very significant paint style , ..........and I mean this in a positive way , mate , ....awesome work , indeed thumbsupsmilie thumbsupsmilie .

Only thing maybe to complain about is , that the darker colors are probably not that much suited to display the full potential of your patterns and painting technics , ..........it would surely still look better if you used brighter base colors , .........but probably your local fishies prefer them lures darker , .....I don't know ??? ?

This one lure painted after your daughter's request is gonna be a killer , I'm sure thumbsupsmilie , ........about 20 years ago , when my daughter was that age , she painted a few of my homemade spoon blanks and one of her paint designs proved to be a very good catching color back then !

very nice work , thumbsupsmilie ........greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

loomis
Expert
Expert

Post by loomis » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Wow...thanks for the comments guys. It sort of makes me think I am on the right track at least. But knowing what I can do on a car bonnet, I new I had a bit of a headstart with painting lures. Its just getting used to everything being mini-scale!

Rupe...The bibs are machine cut as far as I know. From a guy in Muswellbrook. I think laser cut bibs end up with a brownish coloured side as a result from laser burn. I can you PM you his details if you are interested. Prices are pretty good to I reckon.

The red/white star one was going to be a one off in each model for my daughter...but it may be promoted if the responce is anything to go by.

I am the son of a panel beater/spray painter, so I have been around paintshops/spray booths and the like my entire life. I sprayed my first car (VW Beetle) in enamel at the age of 12, WITH NO RUNS! Considering the characteristics of enamel, and the complete lack of flat panelwork on a VW, thats a pretty good effort. Flamework and general air brushing has been in the blood since birth, so its no surprise it has flowed onto these lures. I can also remember Dad and I painting quite a few big horsefloats/goose neck trailers...A gun each, one each side, meet ya at the other end!

The darker colours do show up well, but due to the lighting conditions when the pics were taken, its hard to see. But trust me, in real life, even the darker colours are easily seen in the mix.

The sun has come out, so the next batch has been cleared and are currently soaking up the sun. A new batch of the little wobblers have been cut, and are ready to be sanded. I am coming to realise that making lures can be just as addictive as collecting/using them.

Leigh.
aussbasstony wrote: Hey Brolly,
But i do like your Bums mate smckin lol

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:45 pm

@ loomis

Thanks for further background info , .........now you name it , mate , ......I've seen such flame patterns on custom painted cars before , .......great idea to downscale them for lures !

Good luck with your next bunch , .....greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

SkyeWarrior
Rookie
Rookie
Mood:

Post by SkyeWarrior » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Hey Leigh, that's a pretty awesome job there mate. Only 3 weeks left to wait thumbsupsmilie

The last one you popped up gave me chills - I literally drilled the holes for this a couple of hours back and was going to paint it up in time for a throw at around 7:00 on the September 4 (I'll be out earlier, but like buzzbaits and paddlers before I can see the sun thumbsupsmilie) yay Didn't realise it already had a pedigree, when I get bored at work I draw profiles on post it notes to have a go at carving when I get time. Just need to make a bib for it now. And maybe one of those perspex stands...

Stevo
2010 Bass season starter.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Today's the day! The sun is shining, the tank is clean and we are getting out of here!!!

aussbasstony
Guru
Guru

Post by aussbasstony » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Not bad at all Leigh, well done clapclap

lure crazy
Guru
Guru

Post by lure crazy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Great stuff man, Those stencil patterns certainly came out brilliantly! thumbsupsmilie
Beginner or pro, doesent matter how good you are, fishings a gambling game. Put your lure in the right place at the right time and it will get smashed!
Image "CLICK THE BANNER FOR THE NEW WEBSITE"

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”