Post by WRAPPER » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:10 pm

very interesting , thumbsupsmilie

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Re: Step By Step Lure Construction

Post by Mully » Mon May 03, 2010 11:38 pm

its a bloody good write up gives the ones interested in trying it for themselves something to consider Gotta thank the Dan for his efforts bowsmilie

hazmail
Expert
Expert

Post by hazmail » Tue May 04, 2010 8:26 pm

Yeah Mully, these 'Info' threads are invaluable, saves us guys heaps of time NOT reinventing the wheel, thanks again Dan for starting it - wise move.
Pete

WRAPPER
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WRAPPER » Wed May 05, 2010 11:57 pm

have to agree great thread , lm givin this lure makin a go lve make a few bodies one piece and now lm up to the next stage
Someone advised me to run a cut underneath my lure body then bend a wire ,l know someone with a router so l can put a 3mm groove in them would this work ??? or should l just use eyelets
Hopefully l'll gets some advice and post pictures of my progress if anyones interested
cheers Wrapper howdy

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu May 06, 2010 1:05 pm

yes show us please some cut centers out for wire others cut them in half but if its wood screw ins will be tough as nails use a bit or araldite when you drill a pilot hole it will never come out

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Thu May 06, 2010 2:49 pm

@ WRAPPER

Mully's right ,........ epoxied screw eyes hold up well ,........caught a 1,17 m pike years ago on a teakwood homemadie with such hook eyes , ....no issues at all !

You can use homemade wire eyes , so-called "twisted eyes" as well , these have to be epoxied thoroughly into snugly fitting pilot holes .

For thru-wiring lures I utilize a "Dremel Multitool" ,........ it's cutting wheels come in very handy for cutting the wire harness slot into the belly of a lure blank ,....... it gets as wide as 1,0 to 1,5 mm , perfect to insert my wireforms of 1,0 mm dia. stainless welding wire , ..........a 3mm slot sounds a little too wide for me .

Some Musky folks in the US also drill a lengthwise centered hole all the way through their lure blanks , the hook hanger bores leading upward from the belly to meet this center bore , .......the inserted center wire shaft passes through "figure 8" wire hook hangers or larger swivels , that are placed into these upward leading holes , .........all epoxied in , off course .

This method obviously only works on straight-bodied and/or lathe turned lure bodies .

Another method to thru-wire a lure is to make it out of two halves , preferable from a softer kinda timber , .......the wire form is placed inbetween the two halves(still in a rectangular condition , never shaped) and these are pressed together in a vise , .......this way the wire form embosses it's accommodating grooves into the wood ,.......... later ,.....after the body shaping is done , both halves are glued together with the wire form placed into these grooves .

To come to always sit flush to one another whilst working on them , both halves should have kinda internal registration pins(tooth picks , kebab sticks, etc .) ,.........just similar to a lead casting mold .

good luck , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

WRAPPER
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WRAPPER » Thu May 06, 2010 2:52 pm

here is my 1 st attemped l have to finish sand papering them yet .
l think l'll cut them in half then add the wire form , what do you blokes think ???
next is where is the best place for the tow point on the noise of the body (like a stump jumper)or on the bib also what shape bib to use ,l mainly fish inland waters 2 to 4 m in depth so dont want anything that dives to deep ,well back to it
cheers wrapper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WRAPPER
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WRAPPER » Thu May 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Diemai clapclap thanks for your advice ,l know where l can lay my hands on a dremel might look into this way howdy

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Thu May 06, 2010 3:57 pm

@ WRAPPER

I think , that it is too late now to cut them into halves , as the blanks are already carved out ,...... would be difficult to keep sufficient accuracy for a centered and straight separation cut , ..........either go for screw eyes or a belly slot .

It is always of advantage in terms of accuracy(to keep a 90° angle in relation to the lengthwise center axis) to also cut the bib slot , as the lure is still in a rectangular cross section , cutting the bib slot after having readily rounded off the blank is always a little gamble !

Anyway , such curved lure blanks usually have a very strong wobble ,........ to let them dive reasonably deep , they require a comparable big tear drop shaped bib .

I don't have much experience with such curved deep divers ,....... I'd advise you to look around on the site to fetch some input about bib sizes , ..........probably assemble a differently sized bib to each lure of your bunch , this would teach a lot for future lures !

You need to place your bibs in about alignement to the lateral line of the lure blanks , they are too narrow at the thin nose tip to cut a lip slot from the belly leading somewhat upward , ....such lip angle most likely won't work out on such curved lures anyway , .......they would be subject to overturn easily , .....more something for minnow shaped blanks .

If your bib is quite short and not much wider as the body width , then you could rig a tow eye to the tip of the nose of the lure , right on top of the bib , even touching it , ...........but sucha configuration won't let your lure go down too deep , probably 1m to 1,5 m , not more at all .

So I'd rig those bigger tear drop shaped bibs with the line tie placed onto them , ........if you go for screw eyes , no thru-wire connecting the line tie , you can assemble these "omega" clips as a line tie , but in this case I would surely feel better not only glueing in the bib , but also securing it to the lure body with one or two crosswise wire pins or woodscrews .

good luck , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue May 11, 2010 4:50 am

id go screw eyes first then when the swims right progress to straight through saves time fiddling and tuning is easier and quicker...bib angle and width will show you depth and sway wiggle all sorts find a similar lure size and shape and copy the bib make sure its a woodie lure copy and learn trial and error is part of starting out as we all know and not all lures will swim nice i tell you now.
i would also start with bib towpoints also easier to tune go easy first then full steam ahead......but a drill is a must a dremel is a dream ,,epoxy or even locktite and or even super glue is like concrete for eyes and bibs i like to pin a bib for strength...Trial and error will teach you the rest

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”