Step By Step Lure Construction

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Re: Step By Step Lure Construction

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks for the reply Dieter.

Brad, Thanks for the great advice, especially about SuperCheap, we have one here in Darwin.
I may get lucky with auto-acrylics, as my sons mate works at Autobarn and they not only sell touch-up to order in cans, but also will do small tins.
I could use these with an airbrush, if I follow your lead, I've ordered the how-to book which should arrive from the US any day now.
I'll read it all through first then decide, was leaning towards the small Testors enamels which I can buy at local hobby shop.
However, after reading your post, I'm now leaning towards the auto-acrylic method.
Just one last thing, the lures I've already primed in enamel in my haste iidiot , will I be able to topcoat with acrylic, or will I have to strip first?
Regards, Tony.
"Always merry and bright"

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm

@ Barraguru

In fact some kinda paints are not compatible to one another , but it is hard to tell on a distance , much more a matter of trial and error .

Most likely issues occur using solvent based paints ,...... I have had cases of simple spraycan paints from two different manufacturers not going well with one another , also had my linseedoil/turpentine wood sealer liquid "sweat" through solvent based primer after a couple of months or years .

Some paints also react with certain kinds of topcoats , ......epoxy is relatively hazzle-free , but modelling dope and PUR laquer might dissolve and smear certain solvent based paints(especiall when brushing on by hand) , in particular metallics ,..... but also felt pen ink or unprotected pupil dots on stick-on lure eyes may be affected .

This is why I always cover the paint job on my lures with two coats of water based acrylic clear before applying the real hard topcoat stuff !

Anyway , back to your question , ......I don't think , that any issues would occur , if you paint over your primer with (waterbased) acrylic paint .
To be sure , do only one lure for the start and wait up to three days and examine carefully , whether little cracks might have evolved(sometimes takes that long , been there , done that -duh ) .

But I don't mean to scare you , ........most likely everything works out fine thumbsupsmilie !

good luck , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Tony,
good question, and I can answer it, having just done the same with the lures I put up on the paint fun thread. I had used an enamel primer/undercoat (White Knight brand from Bunnings H/W) and was goint to paint them all in enamel (also White Knight) but changed my mind when I couldn't get suitable colours.
I sanded the lures with 240g adalox sandpaper and coated them with White Knight Crystal Clear Acrylic. I then left them in the drying cabinet overnight expecting to see crackle or wrinkling, due to incompatability...but nothing happened... thumbsupsmilie BONUS!!!!

If I remember rightly from experiences with paints years ago, acrylic over enamel is USUALLY OK, but Enamel over Acrylic is fraught with problems.

Good move getting the small cans of Auto paint from sons work clapclap

Theres a couple of good aussie sites for airbrushing hints, just type airbrushing into google/Yahoo search. Some of the OS info doesn't match with whats available over here.

Cheers Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

hazmail
Expert
Expert

Post by hazmail » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:35 pm

I sealed some w/b acrylic last night with a thinners based clear (auto clear) and the lure is now finished and no wrinkles. You need to build up the clear with several fine coats (air brush) before hitting it with a full coat of clear/colour. It has a lot to do with the amount of thinners you are applying rather than the acrylic paint - the more you thin it the more volatile it will be.
I just realised you are talking enamel and auto colours- yeah fraught with danger and the rules are much the same - try straight auto colours or water based colours which are much safer, let the w/b dry properly before coating though (about 6- 12 hrs). Unless ALL the paints/ primers/ sealer's are the same medium you are tempting fate, but I have nearly always used a thinners based primer, water based paints, thinners based sealer and epoxy (2 pak) for the top coat - the biggest secret is letting each coat dry before adding the next, because when you have finished, all will look perfect until you decide to fish it on a hot day and it swells to twice it's intended size and all the colours and topcoat cracks off.Pete

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks for all the great info. guys. Realise it's a lot of trial and error on these things.
Not alot of damage can be done on mine, as the lures I'm recoating were lost causes, so things can only improve.
A little different if you've spent hours on a piece of rare red cedar to see your creation melt before your eyes. NONO

Regards, Tony (Wulagi, NT).

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Brad,
Thanks for the great info. about Supercheap, have just returned, you wouldn't believe they had a special on, picked up an SCA Professional Air Brush kit and 1.5M braided air hose for $43 complete.Then went to Autobarn and found some auto acrylic in aerosol cans to try your decanting trick.
I'll pass on a tip, ask the staff if they have any colours made up for customers who don't return.They sold me three large cans for $5 each, various colours, I'll return from time to time or try different stores. We're limited for stores here in Darwin, but you'd have plenty in Brissy. Thanks again for the great advice. thumbsupsmilie

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:25 pm

No worries Tony, ya got a bargain if its the Double action airbrush, the are $70 down here without the hose.

Keep in mind, if you are hooking up to a regular compressor, that the airbrush will only need between 15-50psi (105-350kpa) so wind down your regulator.
Playing with air pressure, trigger pressure and needle opening will take a bit of getting used to, but the experts reckon its the way to get the best from your A/brush. I have sort of 'adopted' 20-25psi as my airpressure for most painting.

Cheers Brad
acta non verba

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Brad,
Yes it's going to be a bit of trial and error, but hey I'm retired, got plenty of time to play. Might end up being a whole new hobby.
The Autobarn mate of my sons says all I need is about a 20L compressor to run, don't need the expensive hobby shop model.
May start trolling Cashies see what turns up, but the Supercheap option is also there, as long as it has a regulator and preferably a moisture filter.
This maybe off topic, but today met a chippy who comes from Vic. Murray R. region, told me he had about four Kadaitchas at home back in Vic. and his dad also has a few, may have to do some bargaining with him.Told me he's not a collector nor's his dad, I said I'd part with one of my Mollers for one, but he didn't know what a Moller Minnow was! Might have a bit of educating to do.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Tony,
yes make sure it has a moisture trap.
I picked up a proper airbrush compressor off fleabay for $25, bought a filter/regulator, hose and extra bottles etc off fleabay as well.
Seems to do the job, and takes up bugger all room in an already crowded shed.

Look forward to seeing some artwork soon thumbsupsmilie

Cheers Brad
acta non verba

hazmail
Expert
Expert

Post by hazmail » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Tony- I'm in the same boat, time is no object, looking forward to seeing some "Mollers' -
for what it's worth, I also bought a 'Supercheap' compressor about 2 years back, started it up one evening and thought the rescue chopper was landing on my shed, they are very high speed and noisy - I gave it to a mate and bought a small one on FleaBay.Pete

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”