Step By Step Lure Construction

transom
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Step By Step Lure Construction

Post by transom » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 pm

I hope this is the right place, this is a step in the construction of a lure and this subject is great for reference.
I have started silver soldering the wires in the last batch of lures and cleaning the wire with sandpaper works most of the time but I also want to clean it after soldering so the epoxy will stick and seal.
select 004 [1600x1200].jpg
So what is the best way to clean the crap off it? any ideas? and will it hold ok?
I have been led to believe that quenching it is not the way to go.Am I looking at an acid???

Thanks in advance.

Transom.
Never take sleeping tablets and laxatives at the same time.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:30 am

@ transom

Years ago I had soldered hinge tubes to some homemade creeper wings and I really went mad in attempt to clean the parts off from solder flux remainders , also getting them shiny polished again , ..........to be honest , ...I've failed !

Even my rotating wire brushes(and I'm not talking about the tiny "Dremel" ones) did not do the job well , ...at least the polish , .....but the flux remainders came off well with the steel wire brush .

good luck , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

transom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by transom » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks for that Diemai. I would think the action of the hooks will polish the bit that is exposed at the rear ,so it is just the flux residue that concerns me,the weld it's self will be hidden. I am intending to solder the tow point as well so maybe it will need to be painted. I will continue to use emery paper for now. Thanks again.

Transom

transom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by transom » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 pm

My local jeweler tells me good old battery acid will do the trick on the flux, but I will have to live with the tarnish.

That jeweler has got some great lure making tools.

Transom.

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:42 pm

@ transom

As I know , that some US guys do solder their thru-wire systems as well ,..... I've done a little search , .......sorry , don't have time for more , switching shifts today , .........but maybe , this helps a little more :

http://www.tackleunderground.com/commun ... entry57100

cheers , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Return to “LURE MAKING LURE DESIGN LURES YOU HAVE MADE”