Kick off the board

Gaffer
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Location: Head South up the big hill and turn left at the top

Kick off the board

Post by Gaffer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:03 pm

Well personally I'm quite a big fan of these rods.

I haven't used much to compare them with, but I like them enough to own several.

With the bream thing taking off slower in SA than in other states it was difficult to get a grip on what a good bream rod was. Luckily a mate of mine was using a BD and I liked the feel of it so took a punt.

When I first started luring bream I used a silstar quiver tip and to be honest... they aint up to the job when you wanna start getting serious. nope

Next up I was talked into a couple of shimano backbones... and they didn't really cut the mustard either. They were probably better for the hardbodz, but were still lacking, so I invested in my first BD rod... the Bluestone Bream 2-3kg.

Now I have to tell you that at the time it was their budget rod. An entry level breaming stick that would give you a taste of what was to follow if you decided to step up and buy one of their Flats Rangers or a Bream Reaper. It was also a run out as they couldn't get those blanks anymore, but man I was impressed with how the rod performed and knew I had to upgrade.

I decided on a Flats 2-5kg and a 2-4kg Reaper, and to help fund the purchase I would sell the Bluestone to a mate. Big mistake. Not saying that I was unhappy with the rods I got, but I didn't realise just how much I would miss my Bluestone until it was gone.

I became so desperate to replace it that I contacted Cindy to see if she knew of anyone who had one they might want to sell, and by chance one of the Victorian reps had one he would let go... and it was the last one left. Luckily he was coming to Adelaide to fish the ABT so I arranged to meet him at the weigh in (This was pre my boat days) and secured another Bluestone that has turned out to be as lucky as my first one.

That was pretty much it for a while, but after another 18 months I started to feel I needed another rod. The Bluestone was great and the Reaper was also a great rod, but I felt the Flats was too long for my boat when I was fully loaded, so I decided that as BD had recently brought out the Clear Cut range I would invest in one of those.

A 6ft 1 piece 2" butt 1-3kg was ordered and I was very impressed with it. So much so, that I just had to buy a 2-4kg in the same style.

So from being a one rod owner, I became a 5 rod owner and I love every one of them for what I use them for... although if I was to sell one it would be my Flats Ranger as I do so little with it these days.

Of course since I first started buying BD rods the market has been flooded with some great off the shelf rods that just weren't around much in SA when I was getting into it... well not that I could find anyway, and I can't really give a great comparison as to how the rods stack up against Millers and Loomis etc, but I can say that they are great rods to use and are not overly pricey if you buy when there is a sale on... which I always do.

I know they get some bad publicity in some quarters which is a shame, but it's not going to stop me from using them. Unless someone can show me a better rod that is cheaper to buy I will continue to use and enjoy using my BD rods.

Gaff
It's just a bling thing!

Ranger
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Ranger » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:46 pm

Can ya try to explain, or put into words how the 2-4kg CC differs from the 1-3kg?

I've got the:
2-5kg 7'0" Flats Ranger
2-4kg 6'6" Bream Reaper
1-3kg 6'0" Clear Cut
1-3kg 6'6" Clear Cut
2-4kg 6'6" Bass Predator

I'm just wondering if I made a mistake and shoulda gone the 2-4kg Clear Cut instead of the 1-3kg.

I'm surprised that the Flats Ranger would be the one you'd choose to get rid of, as I consider this to be the flagship of the Bream fleet.
RANGER - The fisherman John West rejected!

Gaffer
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Gaffer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:37 pm

Ranger I find the flats to be too long... it's as simple as that. I agree it's the flag ship mate, and truth be told they were the words I was gonna use when I put the first post in. I just forgot hahaha.

It's actually been in its rod bag for a good 12 months if not more and I can't see it coming out in the foreseeable future. I'd much rather another 2-4 CC as I find them great all rounders and they lie down in my little boat much safer.

As for the difference between the 1-3 and the 2-4, it's just that last number for me. Having a 4 means I can confidently put some beef into a big bream and slow it down, but I seem to let the fish run a bit more with the 1-3 coz I'm almost scared to apply too much pressure. The 2-4 appears almost lighter at the tip than the 1-3, but firmer in the butt, and they load up very nicely indeed.

I know the 1-3's are great though as friends have pulled legal Mullies with them, whereas I let a legal bream pull me into the mangroves last weekend coz I didn't put enough faith in the rod. It's more from a lack of use and therefore faith in its capabilities plus a shortage of angling skills on my part than anything though.

Are you unhappy with yours mate? My 1-3 is purely a creek rod now. If I was fishing some of the pylons I've seen you lurking around, I wouldn't be reaching for it first, although again I have seen them put the pressure on some very big fish at times.

I shouldn't really let my angling skills shape peoples opinion of this rod though. droolsmilie
It's just a bling thing!

Ranger
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Ranger » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:58 pm

I bought the 1-3 6'0" CC for fishing underneath structure. Places like the container berths out at Outer Harbour. I thought the short rod would help me get casts in to the back wall, with less risk of banging it around and snapping it on the overhead structure.

In areas like this though, I need to lock up the drag and turn the fishes head as soon as it takes my hook, or they'll just wrap me around the pylons, and I think the 1-3kg is just a bit too soft for this.

I was thinking that the 2-4kg might be a bit firmer, so that I can just reef the fish out.

Because of this, I rarely ever pull my CC out, so I really haven't done it justice.

The Flats on the other hand gets a good workout each time I hit the water, and it's been responsible for many of my captures. In fact, just look at my avatar!
RANGER - The fisherman John West rejected!

Gaffer
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Gaffer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:46 am

Yeah I think the 2-4 would serve you better, but I also notice that you seem to be leaning more towards Millers now, so maybe the Wharfie as mentioned on another board may be the way for you to go.

I have a friend I take fishing from time to time and he uses a 4ft ugly stick for jigging under heave structure. You actually get to load the rod up as it's designed to do rather than compensate due to a lack of overhead room etc. He's pulled some nice fish by having that much more control, where by contrast I've dropped the fish by not being able to get the same lift.

Back to the flats... Maybe I should take mine out with me on my next trip and see how I feel about it again, but truth be told I can see her on the market very soon.

It's nice to own the 5 rods, but truth be told I only need 4, and there are so many lures I just gotta have yay
It's just a bling thing!

Ecofreak
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Ecofreak » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:54 am

Do Black Diamond rods have an agent in Melbourne somewhere, I have heard a lot about these rods but have never laid eyes or hands on one.

As I am a person not too concerned about branding I would rather hold one of these things before I make up my mind as to where they are good or bad, I remember a few years ago the strudwick sicstik was all the rage and after using one I was confused what all the hype was about, they were rubbish compared with lower end factory rolled rods, just curious as I am always looking at more gear and would like to see one in the flesh.
http://www.myspace.com/ecofreak_anvil

Best regards
Paul Carter
AKA ecofreak

Gaffer
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Gaffer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:41 am

There is a guy on the BD forum called Buccaneer who lives in Melbourne and I believe he is the rep for Victoria.

He would be your best bet as he will have a few of their rods for you to have a play with.

http://www.blackdiamondrods.com

Gaff
It's just a bling thing!

Ecofreak
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Ecofreak » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:08 pm

Gaffer wrote:There is a guy on the BD forum called Buccaneer who lives in Melbourne and I believe he is the rep for Victoria.

He would be your best bet as he will have a few of their rods for you to have a play with.

http://www.blackdiamondrods.com

Gaff
Funnily enough I will be meeting with Bucaneer for mates day next Sunday at Patterson River, small world hey
http://www.myspace.com/ecofreak_anvil

Best regards
Paul Carter
AKA ecofreak

Return to “Black Diamond”