Three Scurvy Dog.

Scurvy Dog Lures
Pecheur
Rookie
Rookie

Three Scurvy Dog.

Post by Pecheur » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi there,

Not long ago I was offered three amazing fishing lures.
The lures are Scurvy Dog Lures, and the person who gifted these lures to me, is no one else than the man who made them.

Yes one day out of the blue I received a phone call from a man called Balls on another fishing forum, asking me the exact address of where he could drop a few lures that he had just made for me.
I got very excited and couldn't wait to see them.
I had heard of these lures, and read an article in the local newspaper about an 85cm Barramundi being caught on the mighty Daly River on one of them, but was yet to own or even to see one of them.
Scurvy Dog Lures are made in Darwin, with different types of timber, depending of the effect and floatation desired.

As they say that a photograph is worth a thousand words, so lets start with the images...

The Bleeding Mullet.

This is the shape of the lures, they are without the bib, 10cm long and dives between 3 to 4 meters. The first one is of the very traditional colour called The Bleeding Mullet. A colour that has proved many times over that it is a very efficient, and most anglers that I know have at least one lure in this colour in their tackle box. This colour could be described as an all time classic.

Then Balls said that he had read somewhere that I loved timber fishing lures, so he gave me this one, which is really for the lovers of wooden lures.

Pure wood.

And yes this is my first naked lure. I have sometimes seen some for sale on Ebay or other places, but they were always way out of my price range for a fishing lure.
It is then very easy to imagine how excited I become when I saw it.
For the folks keen on wood, it deserves a few close-up.

Built strong.

With a beautiful finish.

Balls then told me that he was going to give me a lure in a colour called The Classic Drop Bear. I knew what the colour called Drop Bear was, but had never seen a The Classic Drop Bear...
So be ready, because here it comes:

The Classic Drop Bear.

Look at that eye.

Like the two other lures it is made of timber, even if one could easily be fooled into believing that this one is made of plastic.
The quantity of paint, glitter and coating on it, is a testament to the amount of work required to produce this very lure.
As for the eye, many Australians will recognise it...

This is three fantastic hand made fishing lures, in their construction, colours and finish.
I do feel very privileged and lucky to have them.
Thanks again Balls, this is a very nice present.
When you collect fishing lures, not many things came close to being as good as getting a lure directly from the hands of it's maker.

These three lures will definitively stay at the office, and will never be allowed near any water. I understand that some of you may think that it is a bit sad not to swim them. But I do not want to risk loosing them, or even to scratch them.
Forever dry, they will stay.

Have a good day,
Pecheur

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Re: Three Scurvy Dog.

Post by Mully » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:16 pm

very nice lures and thanks for the info about them ,top stuff clapclap
the last one "drop bear" is a awesome looking and creative name for a lure

brolly
Guru
Guru

Post by brolly » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Now Pecheur,they really do look the goods clapclap and Balls ought to be very proud of his creations clapclap Mike(brolly)

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Beaut pics Regis, easy to see you're a pro photographer, nice lures also.
Regards, Tony.
"Always merry and bright"

Pecheur
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pecheur » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi there,

Glad that you like them, as I find them superb.

Tony,
Thanks for the compliment about the pics, but you know...
These photos were just made with a compact camera, on a corner of my desk, as fast as I could, because, I wanted to to try to get the lures in the project that we saw you for.
And yes they will be part of it too.
One more reason for you to come and see the show!
;-)

Have a good day,
Pecheur

P.S: does any of you have some Scurvy Dog Lures?
Now that the sub-section exist, it would be nice to see more of them.

Return to “Scurvy Dog Lures”