My First Blinky's

Blinky`s Lures
Pecheur
Rookie
Rookie

My First Blinky's

Post by Pecheur » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi there,

Today I am going to introduce you to my first ever Blinky Lure.
This timber fishing lure is over 30 year old, hand made, of Western Redcedar.
To say that I am happy to have come across this lure, would be an extremely modest statement.
I had been looking for a Blinky for a long time now, alway keeping and eye out for them, at the op shop or at the garage sales.
Blinky, the maker of this lure has now stopped to make them as a business, and only do a couple of them once in a while, for himself.
This one was made a long time ago, as never seen the water, and will never see it!

So how did this lure came to be mine?
Well it did not fall from the sky directly in my open hands, but nearly...
I had started a thread on another forum about some other lures of mine, when Blinky himself made a reply in which he put two photographs of this very lure and asked if I wanted it?
Golly! If I wanted it? Of course yes!
So I take a bit of time to send him a reply, so I would not look like an impatient spoilt brat, and asked him if he wanted money or another lure for it?
And believe it or not, he said that he didn't want anything for it, that this was just a present...
I had some trouble to understand where this was coming from, but was so happy that I felt like jumping on the spot.
Thanks you Blinky.

Here comes seven images of it:

The Blinky.

And from above.

This is an interesting colour, which has since then be seen on the Spearhead from Nils Master.

The belly, nice and slime.

Eye and tow point.

Wire going through.

Yes, it is hand signed.

Painted from head to tail.

As you can see this is a robust lure, with a tow point made from a double wire going back in the lure's belly. And a great attention to finish, painted from one extremity to the other.
I particularly like this detail, as I often feel cheated with modern lure. When the tail is not painted and I can clearly see the colour of the plastic it is made of, as the extremity of the lure is left blank. This is a little thing that I enjoy on wooden lures.
The bib is made of Lexan.

Yes, I am happy...
Thanks again Blinky, this is only the second time that I have a lure given to me directly by its maker, the first time it was a Classic Barra given to me by Rob Gaden.
I have never met Rob Gaden (maybe one day I will be lucky enough for that), but it was great to meet Blinky, even if that was a very short encounter during a lunch break, and to have the lure handed to me by the man himself.

Here is a very recent little anecdote about these lures...
I showed the lure to a work colleague who is a keen fisherman, and he said: "Ho! I had two of these ones, but with some red on them. They were deadly on Barra, but I lost the two of them to some big fish. And I haven't been able to find any of them again"
Well I can tell you that is not getting this one...

This is a lure that I will take great care of, it will definitively stay at the office. As I believe that this is an authentic piece of Fishing Australiana.

I have to apologise for the quality of the images, but the lure was given to me today, and I was so excited about it that I just did a few pics on the corner of my desk, with a point and shoot little compact camera, sorry for that.
Also the lure is smaller that seen on the images.

Have a good day,
Pecheur

samlovesfish
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: My First Blinky's

Post by samlovesfish » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:28 am

Thanks for posting your lure Pecheur,

I've never seen one before, they look like a strong lure, and the story of how you got it is great thumbsupsmilie

Congratulations, no wonder you're proud, I'm sure there are some envious collectors out there! To be given a 30yr old lure by the maker, I think that's pretty cool clapclap

Cheers
Sam

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:09 pm

top score mate and as mentioned a very well made lure your collection grows every day ,top stuff clapclap

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:38 am

Very nice, I have one Blinky but mine has the tow point on the nose, like most lures. Same painted lexan bib. Think I found mine in Warren DeWith's Katherine tackle shop years ago, maybe over 20yrs. ago. Think Warren may have sold a limited number for him? Not positive on this though, maybe you can ask Blinky?
Tony.
"Always merry and bright"

Top Ender
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Top Ender » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi Pecheur,
Thats a great score, a very nice NT lure. I'm a newby to lure collecting (sort of-like most fishos I have the usual box or three of assorted hardware), and appreciate everyones shared knowledge on Aussie lures.

Top Ender

Pecheur
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pecheur » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi there,

And thanks for the replies, yes I am very lucky to have this lure.

Tony,
Blinky used to live in Katherine, and was first selling his lures from the tackle shop in Katherine.
I think that I understood that from there he went on selling them as far as Cairns, but not sure of the name of the shops.

If I get lucky enough to meet him again, I'll ask him about that.

And you are welcome to post a pic of your lure in this thread if you want to/have one ready, so we could compare them.
But no pressure.

Have a good day,
Pecheur

Return to “Blinky`s Lures”