WELCOME TO THE FORUM PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Talk About Anything, but Please Remember the Rules.
GoldenChub
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: WELCOME TO THE FORUM PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Post by GoldenChub » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:16 am

I agree, the tadpolly is a great bait but what I have is 10cm long, although honestly never caught so many catfish over 150cm. This was an exception that made me sweat. However, if you want to undermine the catfish spinning:
1 Draw them in the summer when the water is warmer
2 Find the hot spot, best are the tributaries, then where the current of the river forms the "reversals" (like the picture below), if you have a boat you can get out with the current and cast the bait a few cm from the vegetation of the banks, if you don't like want to work hard you can sit in a point of strong current launch a minnow shallow in the river and let the current work for you.
3 Fish them when the river is rising after rain or better at the height of the full (I do not have experience in this regard, however, it seems that with the river at normal levels you can make good catch at night)
4 look at the River, see catfish hunt afloat, well large minnow type super shad rap or tadpolly or salmo perch in larger sizes are excellent bait, but if the cat ignore them you can also use smaller fish also shad rap 7 cm that make little noise. If you see nothing on top water it may be a good idea to get off the bottom, excellent baits are downunder (with the biggest lip I ever seen), the rare downdeep fat rap, or the little but deadly dives-to (I think it's on + - 7cm)
5 Change the treble hooks and replace them with strongest, if you lose for this reason the only fish of the day is not nice zippedsmilie
6 Ok, now let only a pair of strong gloves to bring the fish on shore thumbsupsmilie

Talking about asp here the best time for rapfen is in october, november when you can catch the big one, my favorites lure are propeller, walking the dog, slider jerkbaits and minnows but go equally well spoon, in line spinner, crankbaits, lipless and lipless crank, grubs on jighead reeled very very fast droolsmilie when they bite the lure give tremendous barrel crazysmilie however it like the stuff that shines and turns, my spots are the prismatic Riverside waterfalls and the areas between two different currents of the River, on evening in summer in stagnant water (oxbows) I have caught some bigs on topwater!! yay
Hs.jpg
Img_2477.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Flicker
Expert
Expert
Mood:

Post by Flicker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 am

welcome ocd and goldenchub thumbsupsmilie
pics look good and so do lures clapclap
Cheers
Adam (Sniper Lures)

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:05 pm

@ GoldenChub

Thanks a lot for your hints on fishing for silure , .....much appreciated .

So I guess , that I should cast my lures at around high tide here in the local river Elbe , ........the average tide lift is about 3,20 m , .......pretty much used to it , as I had already experienced , that fishing for zander ist better at high tide as well .

Tide is coming in from the North Sea 130 kms downstream , 25 kms upstream from Hamburg there is a dam , ...no more tide lift upstream from that spot , ......but fishing the tidal river portion is much more successful , but also more headache due to constantly changing water levels .

I did not know , that there was such a big version of the "Tadpolly" around , I only have a smaller one . I'm a great fan of such "banana" plugs , have a few homemade ones , too , ........they really cause a good commotion in the water .

Yeah , ...asp one can fish with a variety of lures , .......but they have to be quite small and also have to be reeled fast , .......over here in Germany one old style lure is wellknown , ......a simple olive lead sinker painted red and a dressed treble at the rear end , ......casts very far out and reeled in rapidly straight after impact it generates a trace of spray and bubbles on the surface .

My homemade copper tube lures just act the same , .......but they also do come back in in a kind of zig-zag course , changing direction every few metres of retrieve , ........much more resembling a fleeing minnow .

Tight lines , .....Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

GoldenChub
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by GoldenChub » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:49 am

Thanks Flicker howdy
For diemai:
With tides I think it is more difficult to understand when the silure is really active, unfortunately I have no experience of this kind, but anyway I think the high tide can be a good time mainly if go back from the sea fish like mullet, here in summer silure eat a lot of mullet that date back hundreds of kilometers from the sea, you can try to fish with large minnow mullet-size fishing from beaches or some discharge of sewer water (were you can find lot of mullets) thumbsupsmilie
diemai wrote: Yeah , ...asp one can fish with a variety of lures , .......but they have to be quite small and also have to be reeled fast , .......over here in Germany one old style lure is wellknown , ......a simple olive lead sinker painted red and a dressed treble at the rear end , ......casts very far out and reeled in rapidly straight after impact it generates a trace of spray and bubbles on the surface .
Yes, baits more than 10cm are unproductive, the asp of my avatar has been fished with a 5cm lipless crank that was reeled at mach2 but if you gone fish them in autumn, when the water became cold the best beast like very slow fish, with long stop ang go, best bait are minnows shallow suspending of 9cm , with this you can experience the power that has a big asp bowsmilie
But now I'm curious to see this copper tube lures ???
Bye howdy

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:18 am

@ GoldenChub

Thanks again for your further fishing tips for silure bowsmilie !

...............you can see these homemade tube lures at 5:28 of this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNumoguTH7E

Really easy to make these from 12mm copper tubing , ......rigged with single hooks(against bottom snags) they can be used as bottom jigging spoons , too , ......but all action has to be generated by the rod tip this way , ......but main target fish is surface asp , .......just reel them in fast to skim the surface , ......also the copper is heavy , these tube lures cast a mile !

Greetz , Dieter howdy

GoldenChub
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by GoldenChub » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:38 pm

clapclap I had never seen unbelievable bait like that, I really have to try them, and then it's a bait that here the asp have never seen yay
Thanks diemai howdy

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:16 am

GoldenChub wrote:clapclap I had never seen unbelievable bait like that, I really have to try them, and then it's a bait that here the asp have never seen yay
Thanks diemai howdy

The bigger ones are made of 12 X 1mm tubing , smaller ones of 8 X 1mm , if my memory serves me right .

Copper works best in terms of further casting , but also stainless steel or brass tubing does provide a good swimming action , yet does not cast quite as far , ...aluminium tubing is too light , does not cast very far and does not "shoulder" into the water too well , thus provides a kinda lame action .

But take care not to cast your copper tubes against rocky embankments , walls or bridge poles in the water , ...the soft copper might receive bad indents rendering the lure useless .

Cast these tubes at spots , were you see asp chasing the minnow schools out of the water , ........often they'll be deceived , as that tube lure just looks like a fleeing minnow dashing across the surface .

Good luck thumbsupsmilie , Dieter howdy

GoldenChub
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by GoldenChub » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:10 am

Thanks for the advice, just enough time to get hold of the material and build the bait and I'm going to try it, I think that if I made it ​​in smaller sizes can be attractive also for chubs ...and then I imagine the faces of my friends when they see me fishing with a piece of pipe, brilliant! lol yay
Greetings howdy

Mango
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by Mango » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi Everyone, New to lure collecting and new to the site looking to start up a good collection. Interested in American makers such as Arbogast and Heddon but also have a few old Aussie timbers kicking around my tackle box. Been fishing for 30+ years and not very tech savvy but this site seems very easy to navigate. Looking forward to learning heaps about lures.

Mango

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:22 am

Mango wrote:Hi Everyone, New to lure collecting and new to the site looking to start up a good collection. Interested in American makers such as Arbogast and Heddon but also have a few old Aussie timbers kicking around my tackle box. Been fishing for 30+ years and not very tech savvy but this site seems very easy to navigate. Looking forward to learning heaps about lures.

Mango
You've surely found the right place to learn heaps about lures , welcome to LureAndMore , mate thumbsupsmilie , ....hope , you'd enjoy yourself in here !

cheers , diemai howdy

Return to “LURE AND MORE - GENERAL CHAT”