Let`s Talk Lure Makers.

Talk About Anything, but Please Remember the Rules.
vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let`s Talk Lure Makers.

Post by vince. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm

For far too long now lure makers and even the part time makers of lures have been treated like a protected species on collecting sites. It`s always been acceptable to publically expose anyone selling lures on Ebay or one of the many lures pages on facebook. Innocent or not, if you are selling lures and don`t make the grade, you can be lynched without hesitation. This is perfectly acceptable, but if you make a suggestion that a maker is less than ethical, look out. shockedsmilie

So, let`s talk about lures makers. Let`s remember that lure makers are just people that make lures for God`s sake. It`s not rocket science and rarely lucrative. They have big egos, bad memories and the need for cash, just like the rest of us.

Been tempted to use names here, but I don`t think that is of any value to anyone. This is not about exposing anyone in particular, but some examples of unethical practices and possible reasons that lead to it. Thing is, just like the rest of us, not all lure makers are honourable men so to speak. I am of the opinion that greedy collectors like myself have helped create a situation where a not so honest maker can cash in on the lucrative although small market provided by people like myself.

I don`t mean making special lures for big dollars. That is just good business if you are a successful maker and have a market for it. I mean for example, selling a lure for $600 saying it`s the last of 100 ever made and then making another one later. Even if it was a gift, it doesn`t justify the dishonesty and betrayal of faith. The last one should be the last one or it`s not worth the big dollars to start with.

When a maker contacts you to buy the last of his old lures and then down the track the same maker starts selling old lures, what would you think is happening. susssmilie This has happened to me on two different occasions, both were mates I thought.

Another ex-good mate sold me 8 of what was supposed to by only 10 ever made. Paying a premium for this privilege, I think anyone can see my problem and disappointment with there now being over 30 made.

It seems like every lure maker out there has been making lures since Adam, some probably earlier. This again is brought about by idiots like myself, priding themselves on having the “early ones” and the prototypes or the number ones. I have a lure the maker told me was made in the mid 80`s, his copy of the RTB he proudly told me, just a kid at the time. thumbsupsmilie Pristine condition of course. Let`s not worry too much about the very new look, ask yourself when Ray started making and selling his lures. -duh

I also have two, number ones, of the same lure. thumbsupsmilie The first one was purchased directly from the maker`s shed, got the story about it and all. The second I purchased from the maker via Ebay, got the same story in the listing. Must have forgot he sold me the first #one when he listed the second #one on ebay. lol I considered this man a mate at the time.

Although it is very easy to lose respect for makers who tell lies, who`s really to blame. The unethical lure maker trying to make some dollars or the greedy collectors that drive this kind of thing. Either way, no good ever comes out of this. It`s never brought up on any sites, but when the word gets out and it always does, the lure maker then loses his standing, his credibilty and his lucrative market. The greedy collectors then lose the magic they paid the big dollars for.
Regards.....Vince.

Baz
Guru
Guru
Mood:

Re: Let`s Talk Lure Makers.

Post by Baz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 pm

I'd keep clear of the Hunter region mate. Dodgy AF lure makers there ;)
Wishin I was Fishin..!!

vince.
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Let`s Talk Lure Makers.

Post by vince. » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:07 am

Baz wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 pm
I'd keep clear of the Hunter region mate. Dodgy AF lure makers there ;)
Baz, hopefully a former Central West legend can bring some common sense into that area lol lol
Don’t know about the rest of country though. -duh
How’s the new expansion progressing mate. thumbsupsmilie
Regards.....Vince.

Return to “LURE AND MORE - GENERAL CHAT”