Book Collecting

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Book Collecting

Post by oldfish » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:11 am

For several reasons I feel very lucky to have seriously started collecting fishing books,magazines,tackle catalogues and any other associated material,20 or so years ago.

First of all there is some very classy writing available and I do enjoy a good read.

Secondly,similar to lure collecting (starting 10 or more years ago),they seem to be an extremely good financial investment.

Thirdly,they are an invaluable aid in my lure collecting.(This website has been even more use,thanks,Mully)

For example,from complete runs of magazines you can follow new product reviews and adverts to see when a lure maker started,changed address,or introduced new models.You find interesting things such as Bill Southam's first ad to introduce his Bellbrook Wobbler in Outdoors being misprinted as Bellrock.They probably couldn't read his handwriting but it was fixed up the next month.Then you find an ad for the King Codder which tells you there were 2 sizes and the 2 colours,Trout and Redfin.

If I didn't have a few Hartleys Angling Catalogues then I wouldn't have known that my Hartsport Propellers (aeroplane spinners) were from 1928 and 1938.Got quite excited to find they were a lot older than I expected.The 1923 catalogue advertises aeroplane or tandem spinners but no pictures unfortunately.Also in the 1938 catalogue you find Mr.W.Carter their Workshop Manager,who went into business for himself in the 1940's, and the little rubber fish with his name on the packet makes you think soft plastics have been around a while.

Even if you are only concentrating on the modern era (say Peter Newell,1980's on) I still reckon you should collect all the magazines and Harbord Catalogues etc. from that time on while they are still readily available,and still affordable as they will be both helpful and enjoyable.

Good reading

Cheers,Jim

childers
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Book Collecting

Post by childers » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:40 am

Hi Jim ,

Jim do you know some places that these Harbord Catalouges are readily available as i have seen a few photos from them posted on this site

they look good , regards mick.

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:48 am

G'day Mick,

I was thinking after I posted that,that the Harbord catalogues are not that easy to find.I actually only have one myself,as I only started worrying about this modern stuff in the last couple of years when I noticed the skyrocketing prices of these lures on eBay.Saw lots years ago but didn't want them then.

I can only suggest going in and asking at every Opportunity Shop or second hand bookshop you come across.Don't drag your kids or wife along though.My kids are adult now but still mention how they hated me doing this on every holiday or day trip we went on.

I have seen a couple come up on eBay in either Books Sport Fishing,or Magazines Sporting, or Collectables Vintage Fishing,but lots of competition and high prices there.

So,sorry mate if I misled you on the Harbords.

Cheers,Jim

laz
Guru
Guru

Post by laz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Jim you've got to love the Harbord Catalogues i only have the five 91,92,93,94,& 95 used to have the 90 but lent it out -duh and it never came home zippedsmilie cccc .Have you any idea when the Harbord catalogues first came out .Catch ya
Laz

oldfish
Expert
Expert

Post by oldfish » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:28 pm

Modern Fishing magazine December 1988 has what I think is the first Harbord catalogue. Not dated but you would probably call it 1989. It is 48 pages stapled into the

centre so it would be possible to get it out on its own.Guess they weren't big on lures then as the only ones mentioned are Halco and Rapala.

Cheers,Jim

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:45 pm

oldfish wrote:Modern Fishing magazine December 1988 has what I think is the first Harbord catalogue. Not dated but you would probably call it 1989. It is 48 pages stapled into the

centre so it would be possible to get it out on its own.Guess they weren't big on lures then as the only ones mentioned are Halco and Rapala.

Cheers,Jim
Guys I was working there at the time and I think you are on the money with your dates although there could possibly be a couple of earlier ones as I was there between 1986-88 and do remember when they started coming out when lures were not the main focus (The business was running for a number of years before this but expanded in the mid 1980's) . . . never kept any though as I never had the vision as a young man except I did buy a heap of Loomis and Sage rod blanks and Fin Nor reels when they went bust. Those catalogues would be a good reference now since they ended up with a good range of lures in stock and were a quality production.

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

anselmo
Expert
Expert
Location: Dublin, Ireland, was Bris-vegas www.themostabsoluteuselessbuggeraround.com

Post by anselmo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:01 pm

I had ALL the Harbord Catalogues
When I moved to Ireland in 2001 and gave all my Oz mags to a friend
I imagine they are all quite valuable now
So if your initials are VC and your wife is DC and you got married in 1998 and you used to live on the southside of Brisbane email me
I want my mags back assy

Nick
Nick
aka "The Irreverent Angler"

Raison d'etre

Redback Tackle Solutions discount for lureandmore members. PM for details
My fishing t-shirts for sale

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:06 am

@anselmo . . .

Mine went a similar way as I had a lot of them + all my freshwater fishing mags that ended up water logged in a mates garage after he borrowed them to 'read'.

I wish I had them all now too but they are all ruined zippedsmilie zippedsmilie zippedsmilie

Roger

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Return to “VINTAGE AND CURRENT BOOKS / MAGAZINES / CATALOGUES AND MORE”