Why you should talk to old guys at Garage sales!!

MXB
Master
Master

Why you should talk to old guys at Garage sales!!

Post by MXB » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:43 am

Hi all . . .

Well these magnificent books appeared after a conversation with an old guy who was holding a garage sale when we got talking about fly fishing.

Both books were purchased by this guy about 30 years ago second hand and are complete w/ original dust jackets
The Holy Grail for those who know how rare these have become;

John Hedge - Trout Fishing - A season on the Monaro - First Edition 1968

Found this in the middle of the book

And the 1962 First Edition of Trout Fishing in New South Wales

The reverse covers;

Group shot;

MXB
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Mzuri3
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Why you should talk to old guys at Garage sales!!

Post by Mzuri3 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Congrats on the excellent purchases MXB, I hope you bought a lottery ticket while your lucky streak is still active.

I haven't had a chance to read these particular books, but who knows, maybe I will come across an old copy in the future, even a poor quality copy is better than no copy.

I mainly collect old hunting books, and outdoor adventure, though do have the odd fishing books, I am a terrible hoarder, and have told my friends in the know, not to let my sisters chuck my expensive, but old collections out thinking that they may be worthless trash, that's if I ever croak it that is. I would be absolutely rolling in my grave if they do.

One thing that I have done is to make a dust jacket from clear plastic rolls that you can obtain from your local newsagents. Please ensure that it is not the adhesive plastic, as I am pretty sure it will more than likely decrease their true value.

Keep up the great work, and I really hope you find more interesting & great purchases.

Robin

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks Robin;

Unfortunately the lottery tickets never win me anything -duh

The books are a great read with some interesting opinions of the times but for me it was reading about the places that I have personally fished and understanding more about which rivers held fish at different times. Much of the information is outdated but very relevant if you want to explore some of the more remote areas but also for historical reference as it was 50 years ago.

And yes I get hassled all the time for hording supposed fishing junk - got a small bookcase of just fishing and fly fishing books but these two will join the special shelf

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 pm

@ MXB

.................this was one of these days , ...great find , Roger thumbsupsmilie !

greetz , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks Dieter . . .

The guy called me yesterday to say he had some old D.A.M reels that he brought back after WW2 that he found in storage ??? ???

Checking them out next week yay yay

MXB

howdy

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:01 pm

MXB wrote:Thanks Dieter . . .

The guy called me yesterday to say he had some old D.A.M reels that he brought back after WW2 that he found in storage ??? ???

Checking them out next week yay yay

MXB

howdy

...............sounds pretty much promising , Roger , ......good luck thumbsupsmilie !

Cheers , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:06 am

A couple more older classics from the old champion;

John Sautelle First Edition with Dust jacket;

And the Tasmanian classic by Dr Robert Sloane;

This one is a fairly recent publication but one of the best books on Aussie fly patterns;

MXB

Return to “VINTAGE AND CURRENT BOOKS / MAGAZINES / CATALOGUES AND MORE”