The Fat Boy

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

The Fat Boy

Post by Marrakai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:03 pm

After watching Peter Morse tie this fly on one of the Fishing DVDs, and fool a few impoundment barra with it, I figured it was time to take a closer look at synthetic fibres.
I now own a small selection of Gliss'nGlow Fluoro Fibres, and a bunch of Enrico Puglisi's marvellous blended colours are on the way.
...and the secret ingredient that makes the Fat Boy possible?

Flexi-Cord body braid.

My first attempts could probably stand some improvement in terms of proportions and body taper, but nevertheless they look great in the water!

<click to enlarge>
FatBoy.jpg
These two are ready for head-dipping and holographic eyes.

<click to enlarge>
FatBoys.jpg
They are tied large, on the Gamakatsu 8/0 Big Game hook, for the specific purpose of hooking and holding truly big barra in the tight snaggy waters of the tidal creeks east of Darwin.
In places like the Rookery, Brook Creek, Magela, and the upper Nourlangie, if the fish takes five metres of line off you, he's into the timber and lost!
The 12wt outfit tossed them reasonably well during testing on the water yesterday-
I could manage close to 20 metres with one false cast.

Hopefully the floodwaters will have dropped by next weekend so I can give them a proper test!
We'll be spending the Easter break in the boat again as usual.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Return to “FLY FISHING LURES YOU HAVE TIED”