Homemade Cod Fly

Mzuri3
Rookie
Rookie

Homemade Cod Fly

Post by Mzuri3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10 pm

I tied a couple of these for friends years ago, but sadly the amateurs threw them aside after their first attempt at using them, as they said that they wouldn't sink, it's a pity they didn't listen to my instructions, as they have to be thoroughly wet before attempting the first cast.

I deliberately made them slow sinkers for the shallow weedy fringes of the Campaspe and Loddon rivers, and they are to be fished really slow on either fly gear or spin gear. The rabbit fur and marabou really bring it to life, as it gently glides and wiggles back during a slow flicking retrieve.

I did create a hot red highlight from polar fibre beneath the tail, but sadly after it was dunked, the black dye from the rabbit fur changed it to purple, my stuff up of course, as I am just a novice fly tyer.

Sadly, I haven't had the chance to use it in cod territory, just only had test runs in local streams, but have gotta get my butt into gear.

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FLY FISHING LURES YOU HAVE TIED”