Sage Flyreels:- bit of an unknown?

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Sage Flyreels:- bit of an unknown?

Post by Marrakai » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:16 pm

While looking for a decent reel to partner my Powell TiBoron II flyrod I continually found it difficult to go past the Sage 1680.
The reel has a 4.1-inch diameter large-arbor spool, sealed carbon drag, and looked pretty damn good to my eye.
Rated at ~9-weight I thought it might be a bit light for what I envisaged would be a serious 10-weight outfit, but for a hundred bucks delivered I weakened and allowed the Scot in my ancestry to dictate the terms!

Well it certainly looks the part!

<click to enlarge>
Sage1680_1.jpg
Sage1680_2.jpg
Just bombed it up with 300 yds of 30lb Bionic Braid backing and a used 10wt line given to me by a work colleague. It was a pretty tight fit (!) but I'm now ready for an exploratory cast or two during my next lunch-hour. The line is an intermediate sinker so I have decided to be a sook and employ a stripping basket, rather than feed my 'new' line to the oyster-rocks on day-one!
Sage1680_3.jpg
Now I really must learn to double-haul before the Northern Blues arrive in the harbour! Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

simon bruce
Master
Master

Re: Sage Flyreels:- bit of an unknown?

Post by simon bruce » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Northen Blues will answer any reel questions for you.
I guess you just have to dodge the queenfish, trevally and mackerel in the meantime along with any stray barra.

Be looking forward to your reports.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:03 pm

It looks like you got the flyfishing bug . . .

Perfect for throwing those deceivers. Enjoy

MXB

thumbsupsmilie
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Just a quick reply to consolidate this thread:
I have now used this Sage 1680 flyreel for 99% of my tropical saltwater, tidal river, and billabong fishing over two full years now, and can recommend it without reservation.
Remarkable, considering the price of $99 delivered from the States.
As stated I fish it with a 10-weight clear intermediate over 300m 30lb Bionic Braid most of the time, on a Powell 9-weight rod that is not overpowered by the heavier line.
Some weighty fish have been taken with this rig, along with plenty of tropical speedsters, onto the backing numerous times.

Admittedly, the black anodizing on this reel is fairly thin and has worn through on the rim in places, but the alloy beneath is not prone to corrosion and I have taken no remedial steps.
The drag housing did let a few drops of water inside early in the piece, so I dried it out and 'greased' the little gasket with lanolin and it has been good ever since.
It actually comes with graphite drag washers!

I liked it so much I bought a Sage 1650 with spare spool for trout etc and used that little reel last Christmas to good effect in southern NSW.

So there you have it. One doesn't need to break the bank to embark on the sport of 'flog'.
Hope this is of some interest.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Nice find!

Return to “FLY FISHING REELS CURRENT”