Recent Obsession:- Bass on Fly

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Recent Obsession:- Bass on Fly

Post by Marrakai » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:33 pm

Bit accidental really, but "discovered" bass on the flyrod recently while traveling in NSW and Sth Qld over the Christmas break.
I'm envious of you blokes who have them on your doorstep, catching my next one will involve a long drive or emptying the frequent flyer pool!

First one was around 25cm in a tributary of the Hawksbury, followed by a second around 30cm same day, courtesy of a Sydney-sider mate who needed an anchor-b!tch for the afternoon!
Both on the 6-weight, 6lb tippet, splatting a size 10 NZ-pattern deer-hair cicada around the snags. Choice of fly was a no-brainer as we were deafened by the incessant waves of chirping emanating from the riparian forest enshrouding the stream!
FirstBass_onFly.jpg
Bagged a few small ones in the Bellinger on the way up to Brizzy, one little bugger would have been perfect for a home aquarium!
BabyBass.jpg
Managed a nice fish at the wife's niece's farm in the Brisbane valley after Christmas, right in the kids' swimming hole.
Big storms the evening we arrived, so got up early before sunrise and pulled this bloke out. Gotta love those Dai-Riki hooks, when a light-wire size 10 can hold a 42cm bass out of the snags and weed-beds without bending!
Bass_42cm.jpg
Now I find myself thinking about another trip south when I should be focusing on the up-coming Top End runoff.
Ah well, its all fishing....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Return to “FLY FISHING YOUR CATCHES & GENERAL CHAT”