General Question? about Austailian wading!

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

General Question? about Austailian wading!

Post by Charged » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:11 am

I understand this is a website ran out of Australia. I'm also not super familiar with all your unique wild life, but understand there are some very dangerous (Toothy, and Poisonous) creatures.

I'm just wondering? is wading something you guys can safely do 1/2 way across the planet? The reason I ask, is I see there are some fly fisherman posting here (Not many, but a few). In the US, most of my fly fishing is accomplished waist deep in colored not so clear water. (I can pretty much drive anywhere within several hours/day, and safely hop in any location that is shallower then my chest), Wading is also my most preferred method of fishing, as its the cheapest way to get away from the ever present crowds here in the US. It also makes fly-casting much easier not having to deal with all the overgrown brush behind you.

The other day I was thinking about this (I'm not really not sure why the thought popped in my head, but it did!), if some of you guys are fly fishing primarily from shore, I'd like to tip my hat off to you all.
clapclap

I'm just asking the question in general to satisfy some curiosity. Please forgive my innocence on this subject if its considered a stupid non-native type of question!

I'm also wondering, if there is much of a fy fishing culture in Australia, or is it more or less considered a nitch type of oddity?

Australia is the one place, I'd really like to hopefully one day be able to travel too.

The only places I have ever fished within the US that I consider semi dangerous is Downtown Chicago in the very late evening, and backpacking though Alaska where bears could possibly be a concern. (I actually feel safer fishing in Alaska, as I see fewer weirdo's)
Last edited by Charged on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Re: General Question? about Austailian wading!

Post by Charged » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:57 am

So do you guys wade, or fish primarily from boats and shore? Also is it common place to carry any sort of safety equipment?

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:38 am

@Charged . . .

Australia has a unique wildlife population with lots of native snakes and spiders, insects that bite and also larger creatures that are considered dangerous.
BUT if you let fear hold you back everytime you fished or waded you probably wouldn't fish at all.
The reality is that the most dangerous thing you will do while fishing is actually driving your car there . . .

I've waded for most of my life in fresh and saltwater - used to do lots of fly fishing and still do but share it with my passion for lure fishing as well.
Fly fishing is HUGE in OZ - there are numerous fly fishing clubs and many trophy waters for trout fishing in Tasmania and mainland OZ.
Snakes are a major issue with remote and wilderness fishing as we do have approximately 8 of the top 20 most poisonous snakes in the world and they do grow relatively large. For example Tiger snakes are a problem in Tasmania, highly venemous but it should be noted that snakes do not eat humans and will only bite if you accidentally tread on one or intentionally antagonise one. To give you an example - a story shared with me recently and confirmed by multiple anglers who were present was that as a fly fisherman sat by a rock next to a freshwater river to change a fly felt something sliding up his back and over his shoulder to find a tiger snake just moving to a nice sunny spot. He was told by another angler to stay still and not move a muscle (which you do because of shock anyway) and the snake slithered over his shoulder next to his face and continued on its way. He desribed the experience as 'heart stopping' but of course survived to fly fish another day.Mainland OZ has many large brown snakes which can be an issue, death adders which are rarely seen, red belly black snakes which are frisky and many others slightly less venemous.

My rule with snakes are simple - stay still because they don't bite trees - this was taught to me by an old timer and it is difficult to stop the natural reaction to fear. Make lots of noise when walking in long grass or beat with a stick and they flee to safety - I have been to certain places where the boys carried a small sawn off shotguns to get through the snakes (very remote areas on private property) to get to the river safe. Barrington Tops NSW is one place I remember this well.

Crocodiles are common in Northern Australia and saltwater crocs need to be respected at all costs - there is no wading in these areas at all unless you are mad.

Its funny how the world views our animals . . . we just get used to it and its part of life

MXB
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Late post, apologies, just a mad flats-wader from the Top End checking in...!

I have a 4.2m Clark Abalone with a 30hp Yammie that sees most of my fishing, but I just love to wade the flats in Darwin Harbour with a flyrod for something different.
So far this year the Parks & Wildlife rangers have pulled two crocs out of the harbour longer than 4 metres, and there are cubos everywhere on the neaps (box-jellyfish).
So I do it carefully!
But truthfully, the biggest risk is from the small reef sharks that swarm over the flats with a rising tide, invading the shallows on the prowl for anything that moves.
At such times, it is necessary to stick to very shallow water as they would bite through a neoprene bootie or chomp on a calf-muscle without hesitation!

Just last week I managed a nice Giant Herring, couple of modest queenfish and a cod on a small blue-and-white fat-boy in about an hour on the flats in front of East Point.
I was after barra but unfortunately spooked the only two I saw, both around 65cm.
At the time I had a long speculator cast out in a gutter when they came cruising through the shallows straight towards me. Nothing I could do...
No crocs or sharks were encountered, but there were a few cubos about.
...and the stingrays were thick! Had to be careful where I put my feet.

Hopefully you won't read about me in the obits of the local paper!
(In the good old days, I would have had my two mates with me: Smith and Wesson!)

PS: here is a link to an earlier thread on flats-fishing in Darwin Harbour.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Return to “FLY FISHING YOUR CATCHES & GENERAL CHAT”