Carp on the Fly

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Carp on the Fly

Post by Marrakai » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:02 am

Just got back from spending Christmas with my eldest daughter at Wagga, so gave the 6wt a bit of a workout from time to time...

Of course the most prolific fish in NSW is the carp, so I guess it was inevitable a few would turn up on the fly.
First one took a small greenish unweighted nymph dead-drifted in the vicinity of carp activity in a recently-flooded backwater.
We were rafting a stretch of the Murrumbidgee upstream from Wagga at the time, mainly as a relaxed pre-Christmas piss-drinking exercise with some fishing thrown in!

<click to enlarge>
Carp_Murrumbidgee.jpg
Carp_Nymph.jpg
A smaller fish broke me off on a submerged tree-branch, pity because he had mirror scales and would have made a great photo.

The next one came in a Blowering Dam creek-mouth when I sank a #12 Royal Humpy in front of him, which he pounced on.
Tight water, snags, sunken blackberry etc, quite a challenging fight on 6lb tippet.

<click to enlarge>
Carp_Blowering_2.jpg
Caught another one in the Tumut River on a #10 weighted hare's-ear nymph, but no photo.
Tried awfully hard to tempt one of the thousands of fish in the Swampy Plain over several days, but was studiously ignored.

Coming from Darwin this was very interesting angling, although I'm sure most southerners will be rolling their eyes by now!
For me however it was a good lead-in to some serious trout fishing we had planned.

Curiously, the green unweighted wooly-bugger look-a-likes recommended by the locals never tempted a single fish! Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Mzuri3
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Carp on the Fly

Post by Mzuri3 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Great stuff Marakei,

They are a great sporting fish, I envy you as I am yet to catch one on fly, I have pulled them in on a 'baited' fly outfit (yes 'bait', as they refused my fly offerings) and boy what a fight, totally different to catching em on regular gear, a real challenge in snaggy water too.

When they are in really shallow water, like small streams, they have nowhere to go except up in the air, just like a barra, a spectacular sight, but they would rather fight doggedly, screaming to the left or right.

Great to hear that you have had some fun.

Tight Lines

Rob

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:50 pm

I guess , trying to catch a carp on a fly would turn out a rather exhausting affair over here in Europe lol , .........nice catches , indeed thumbsupsmilie .

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:02 am

Good sport on fly and will test those lighter tippets clapclap

Hope they ended up on the bank for fertiliser zippedsmilie mongrel creatures crazysmilie

Caught a mirror carp in my local dam a while back (not on fly but breadfishing with the old man which is all he can do now) and its the only carp I have ever put back in!! It looked spectacular.

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for your words of encouragement guys.
Fishin' is fishin', and I really enjoyed the challenge of carp on the fly, certainly not easy, but...

...these things really are the Murray/Darling version of the cane toad!

I too released one of the carp I caught to swim off into the Tumut, but it trailed a lovely red cloud behind from an open aorta!
(didn't want to stink up the picnic area. The spiny crays will thank me later).
The others fed the crows.

BTW does anyone have a sure-fire recommendation for a carp fly? As stated the locals like an unweighted olive woolly-bugger style of fly, but it didn't work for me.
I got one fish on a greenish nymph and lost a second, another single fish on a hare's ear nymph, and another single fish on a drowned dry-fly. Those flies were subsequently well-presented to plenty more fish in the same areas and were ignored. Very frustrating, to say the least! I see the bread-fly is often recommended, and we tried that on one occasion without success. Does it need to be presented into a bread berley-trail to get their attention? Wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about this as they are certainly a serious sporting proposition on fly gear if you can get them to take!
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:33 pm

In the US, throughout the summers I sight fish carp in shallow streams with small nymphs like these.

Image Image

It's always a challenge, catching them on a flyrod sure is fun!

Capt.Seaweed
Guru
Guru

Post by Capt.Seaweed » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:13 am

Marrakai, where my wife comes from they are devoured with relish, there again I know some people that like our salmon catfish! lol
If they pull as hard as our catties pound for pound, I'm sure you enjoyed the sport.
Look forward to catching-up, maybe at the N.T. Museum display in March.
Regards, Tony.
"Always merry and bright"

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks for the pic, Charged. Looks like I was sorta on the right track.
What percentage of refusals do you normally get on a well-presented nymph?
Do they get disturbed and go off the bite when you catch the first one in a particular area?

Tony: They do remind me of catfish but pound-for-pound I can't imagine landing a couple of kilos of cattie in close water on 6lb tippet!
The carp I caught certainly slugged it out, but did not exhibit that occasional short burst of speed that a catfish can muster.
If they did, I would have lost the Blowering Dam specimen to the sunken blackberries for sure!

The Fishing Display opening should be hilarious, see you there for sure.
Its a pity we no longer have the Fishing & Outdoor Expo in its original format, even so we should think about a Tackle Collectors stand at the annual boat show.
Or maybe not...... That would be the end of the regular 'pleasant surprises' at Cashies and the F&OW specials bin!
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Charged
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Charged » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:42 pm

If there feeding on the surface I'll have to place several well placed casts with a dry fly before I can tempt one to bite. I mainly fish for them in shallow clear streams and prefer to fish for them when I can see that they are actively feeding off the bottom substrate. It seems that when I see them doing this there much more open to taking a fly. If I see that there just cruising around, and not actively feeding I know that it's going to be a tuff day, and will often pursue other species.

If they see me first, it's usually over. Sometimes they will come back if I walk out of the river and onto the bank and wait. Once I catch one, the rest that may have been in the near area disappear. It has always been easier for me to find them very early in the morning, by that I mean crack of dawn.

Return to “FLY FISHING YOUR CATCHES & GENERAL CHAT”