'Toga on the fly

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

'Toga on the fly

Post by Marrakai » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:35 am

The missus and I went for a fish last Wednesday, however the Adelaide River floodplain was in full flood so we bailed halfway across at about 700 deep.
It wasn't the depth that worried me (although I heard it went to 1.8m somewhere out there that night!), but rather the high likelihood of getting stuck and having to drive the long way home through Pine Creek. Turns out one of my mates in a Mazda ute had to do just that the evening before!
On the way back we passed the Main Roads vehicle heading out to close the Arnhem Highway at the bridge, and the sign was already up at the turnoff from the Stuart Highway when we got back to civilisation.

<click to enlarge>
AdelaideRiver_inFlood.jpg
We didn't want to waste the day though, with the boat hooked up and all, so gave Manton Dam a try.
I did get a strike from a large barra, over 80cm, but he missed the fly completely!
Saw, or rather felt, another big fella boof a baitfish right under the boat. Huge boil came to the surface.
Anyway, long story short, we lucked out on barra but I scored a nice saratoga at 58cm.

<click to enlarge>
FlyrodToga2.jpg
That's my biggest on fly so far, as I don't really target them.

<click to enlarge>
Toga+RattleRouser2.jpg
Can't wait for the water to drop, hope its down enough to fish at Easter.
Might go for a speculative recce this Friday if there's no more monsoon in the next few days.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Rupe
Master
Master

Re: 'Toga on the fly

Post by Rupe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:03 pm

nice toga mate!

coming back to the NT in may so I hope to get a fish in sometime
Rupe.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught...

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Re: 'Toga on the fly

Post by Marrakai » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 pm

Rupe:
Bring your water-wings!
Its still raining......

On the plus side, those in the know (..not me!) have been catching barra to 80cm in the drains and culverts right beside the roads in the Humpty Doo / Noonamah area.

Hopefully some sanity will be restored by May.....

Send a PM when you get here if you would like to catch up for a sherbet.
Cheers
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Return to “FLY FISHING YOUR CATCHES & GENERAL CHAT”