First Trout on the Fly

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

First Trout on the Fly

Post by Marrakai » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:05 pm

G'day guys,
Been busy of late but thought I should share my first attempts at fly-fishing for trout in Tassie over the Christmas break.
It was primarily a family trip, so I couldn't fish as much as I would have liked, and didn't get time to head up the Tyenna (sorry Dave, next time! And there will be a next time!)
The good wife and I walked the Overland Track for a week, then met our girls at Lake St Claire for a couple of days, then down to Hobart for Christmas shopping, then up to Lake Leake for a couple of days (friend has a hut and a tinnie there), then back to Hobart to meet up with long lost friends. Overnighted at Penstock on the way back up to Launceston on New Years Day.
I had been looking forward to catching a few trout on the dry fly since taking up this fly-fishing madness ...er, challenge early last year, and had bought a nice little UK-made Shakespeare 5-piece 6-weight rod mated with an Okuma SLV reel.
I managed nine fish all up: one brown (first trout on the fly!) at the St Claire pondage (started off small, so room to improve!), and eight rainbows (plus an undersized rainbow on a nymph) at Lake Leake.
Hooked a torpedo in Penstock Lagoon on New Years Day (big brown), but unfortunately he went round a small bunch of emergent rushes and lit the afterburners, breaking me off almost instantly. Bloody hard to fish a 5-pound tippet after strip-striking pelagics on the 10-weight in Darwin Harbour all year!
My new favourite fly is the #12 Royal Humpy, which accounted for more than half my fish. There was a gum-beetle 'hatch' happening when the weather warmed up after the crappy conditions we endured on the walk (yes, it snowed in December!), and that fly was a pretty good imitation of their shape and size.
Couple of pics attached.

<click to enlarge>
1st_Trout_onFly.jpg
1st_BrownTrout_onFly.jpg
1st_LakeLeake_Rainbow.jpg
LakeLeakeRainbow.jpg
EveningRainbow.jpg
MadeThatLookEasy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

MXB
Master
Master

Re: First Trout on the Fly

Post by MXB » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:06 am

@Marrakai . . .

Welcome to trout fishing world and congratulations on catching both trout species . . . little rainbows always seem to account well for themselves clapclap

Big difference fishing light tippets. I never go below 6lb anymore as the big fish will do you nearly everytime.
Pity you missed fishing with TD as thats always a good day on the river. We should organise a trip sometime and introduce you to the river fishing scene which is just so different.

Awesome thumbsupsmilie

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:51 pm

great fish mate well done and congrats on your trout fly virginity being lost ,,,looks nice there and hope you all enjoyed the trip clapclap

Tyenna Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tyenna Dave » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:41 am

Excellent effort Marrakai clapclap
Thats not bad for a trout virgin and i hope you return to Tassy for some more trutta action droolsmilie
The good old Humpy's go well after a beetle fall thumbsupsmilie
Dave ...

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
I really enjoyed it, and can't wait to get into some serious free-stone river fishing, with both nymphs and the dry-fly.
Here is my first attempt at tying weighted nymphs, #10 hooks to ease the learning-curve somewhat. Whaddya reckon, Dave?
2Nymphs.jpg
BTW, not a 'trout virgin' by a long shot, my best fish on mainland Australia to date is a prime Rainbow of 9-lb from the Goulburn River, on a 4-inch Gold Bomber!
I usually take my baitcaster and small barra lures to New Zealand too for excellent results on big trout up to double-figures in both lakes and rivers, but from now on it will be the fly-rod every time!

I'm well-and-truly hooked! Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Return to “FLY FISHING YOUR CATCHES & GENERAL CHAT”