bream on flys.

mitchmcm
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

bream on flys.

Post by mitchmcm » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:35 pm

what flys should i be using for bream??? in shallow flats with weed this is due to no boat but i may fish some deeper water tho. any help would be very appreciated.

Cheers
mitch

Mzuri3
Rookie
Rookie

Re: bream on flys.

Post by Mzuri3 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:43 pm

G'day Mitch,

A friend I lost contact with used to have a lot of success in Victorian estuaries for Black Bream on a sinking fly line and using the very buoyant 'Booby Flies' in natural type colours. Everytime you stop or pause your retrieve the flies buoyant eyes would lift the fly towards the surface and when you commence the retrieve it would dive again. This should work great over weed beds. As I swear by lures with fluorescent orange markings I couldn't see why you can't use a fluorescent orange booby to effect. Boobies can be tied with marabou or zonker strips, both of these ingredients have an excellent enticing pulsating action in the water.

My buddy in Brisbane caught a thumper yellowfin bream on one of my tiny homemade mullet colour rabbit fur flies, these are more or less rabbit fur streamer type flies. They aren't as good looking as double bunnies but still do the goods.

The attached photo is of some of my home made fur flies, the booby patterns are the flies with the big ball shaped eyes.

I haven't had the chance to use the boobys on fly gear yet, have only played with them on spinning gear. Reddies and trout love the fur fly streamer type patterns.

Regards

Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mitchmcm
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by mitchmcm » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:11 pm

thanks for that really helpful i will try get may hands on some. cant wait till i get to go for them again . thanks aGAIN

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Crazy Charlie flies have a reputation on Bream, and they ride hook up so are a bit snagless. The addition of a bit of mono as a weedguard in the tie would help matters as well.

Brad
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Return to “FLY FISHING YOUR CATCHES & GENERAL CHAT”