Gillies "Carina" Graphite

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Gillies "Carina" Graphite

Post by Marrakai » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Picked up this fly-rod cheap second-hand to take to NZ next time, but I'm not a fly-fisherman's ah-sole so would appreciate your opinion of this wand (MXD?)
I was looking for something a little 'vintage' but have probably missed the mark with graphite....!
FlyRod1.jpg
FlyRod2.jpg
The wire-runners are a little rusty and might need replacing if they won't clean up:- any tips on brand or supplier?

...or should I just chuck it behind the cupboard and look for something better?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

MXB
Master
Master

Re: Gillies "Carina" Graphite

Post by MXB » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:45 am

@Marrakai . . .

Looking at the pictures you have posted it would have been released probably in the early 1990's, maybe 80's. The 97% Graphite means it would probably be IM6 graphite or similar which was normally 96% Gr/4% Fibre/glass and is a hard wearing material far less brittle than many of the later graphites. Could be IM7. 9ft is a good height for general fishing . . . maybe a little long for tighter river fishing situations. Rig it as a 7 weight or on the lower side of the rating.

As far as replacing the line guides . . . you can get them pretty easily from shops like Compleat Angler or Alpine Angler or internationally. There are basic guides and expensive snake guides but the most important thing is the tip. I use a modern single foot silicon carbide tip that is made for ultra light spinning rods or similar. It would be a lot of work to replace them all and rebind but it would be a light rod and easy to work and if you are that way inclined

Roger

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Return to “VINTAGE FLY RODS”