Unknown European Spoons?

Mzuri3
Rookie
Rookie

Unknown European Spoons?

Post by Mzuri3 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:44 pm

These spoons were a gift from a mate, he can't recall where he got them from, wouldn't have a clue where they are from, am guessing Russia, or some other European country??

Regards

Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

diemai
Master
Master

Re: Unknown European Spoons?

Post by diemai » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:13 am

@ Mzuri3

Sorry , mate , I cannot read the Kyrillic writing as well , but because of it I am also sure that these are from Russia .

I have never seen these models , but 20 years back , about the time when the Iron Curtain fell here in Europe , I have bought a few spoons pretty much like this style on fleamarkets from Polish vendors .

They had different shapes , but also had these strange old-fashioned swivels attached ,..... I also recall this kinda plastic box and the logo on it .

The lures are of very poor quality(not sure , whether they still make them nowadays or they are a non-competative product of the old Soviet Union ?) ,...... if you look at the hooks , you will find the hook points to be created by just snipping the wire off at a sharp angle , ........hold a magnet onto the spoons and they'll stick !

If you swim them , your tackle box is going to be rust-stained very soon(been there , done that) !

BTW ,.......the three spoons on the right seemingly are knock-offs of the old German "EffZett" spoon , actually one of the most famous spoons over here .

greetz , diemai howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Mzuri3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mzuri3 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Thankyou Diemai,

You are a wealth of knowledge. You are totally right about the swivels being a bit crude, but I suppose the design is a great way to prevent dirt build up. I haven't used them on fish yet, thankyou for the advice regarding the rust possibilities, as they are showing signs of it already on the hooks.

You mentioned they have a similar pattern to the German "EffZett" spoon, what type of fish species were these spoons designed to target?

Thankyou once again,

Robin

diemai
Master
Master

Post by diemai » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Mzuri3 wrote: You mentioned they have a similar pattern to the German "EffZett" spoon, what type of fish species were these spoons designed to target?

Thankyou once again,

Robin

A while agoI have posted a few pics of a few different "EffZetts" and a little write-up about them in either this particular section of the site or in the European section , can't remember exactly where .........in the "books" section I have also posted pictures of an 1961 DAM (the manufacturer of the "EffZett") tackle catalog .

Here is a link to the actual DAM catalog :

http://dam.tpk6.de/en/ please check pages 104 to 106

These spoons are around for about 100 years now and are made in six sizes in total nowadays , a meaty 60 grams version has been added to the line a couple of years ago to target the big European silure and also big salmon , .........the smallest size is 6 grams , so this famous spoon line covers all native species from smaller reddies down to asp , trout and finally the main of it's target fish , the European pike ,............. also local zander(walleye) fall for them ocassionally , when slowly jigging them along the bottom , ..........surely the "EffZett" line would come in useful for heaps of predatory species worldwide as well .

A lot of different color designs and even surface textures came out through the years , but the plain metal standard colors silver , copper and gold were always available , also the spoon weights and grade of cupping did not change , at least not during the past 50 years , maybe even more(as far , as I'm concerned) .

Through the decades countless numbers of knock-offs were thrown on the market by different companies , ........but only the DAM originals sport this kinda unmatched swimming motion and also excellent castability .

They are suitable for stillwater and moderate currents , cast pretty well and run quite deep , .....thus are not that much suited for very shallow waters , ......but in this case one could tinker on the "EffZett Twin" model , and rig only one of it's two parts with hook and swivel , so the lure weight gets minored by 50% !

The "EffZett" became extremely famous and popular over here , so that some native anglers even substitute the German term for spoon by just calling ANY casting spoon "EffZett" ,...... virtually EVERY lure angler over here has a few in his tackle box or at least has fished them before sometime during his carreer , prior to all the fancy plastics and Japan lures swept in .

greetz , Dieter howdy
Hurts so bad living in a loony bin !

Return to “VINTAGE METAL SPOONS / WOBBLERS / SPINNERS”