Pristine Pegron Minnows!

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Pristine Pegron Minnows!

Post by Marrakai » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Made a grab for these on 'that' auction-site a while back, on account of them being a popular freshwater spoon when I was a kid (well, teens!)

Pegron 'Tiger' Minnows and 'Mountain' Minnows, 3/8 ounce, mint condition, on original cards from the 1970s!

<click to enlarge>
PegronMinnows.jpg
The card reads:
"Pegron" The lures with perfected actions and colours -- with high quality hooks & rings
PegronTigerMinnow.jpg
Unfortunately the photos do not do these lures justice, they are beautifully finished and truly marvellous things!

I seem to recall that there was a third pattern, maybe white in colour? A 'Snowy' perhaps? Anyone remember? ...otherwise I'll have to dig out the early fishing mags and trawl through all the old adverts. Well, hardly a chore I guess! Image

Rumour has it that Basser-Millyard intend bringing the Pegron minnow back into production.
Can the cognoscenti shed any light on this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

MXB
Master
Master

Re: Pristine Pegron Minnows!

Post by MXB » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:56 pm

@Marrakai . . . .

Great lures those and brings back memories for me too as I used to use them in the Snowy Lakes like Eucumbene and Jindy;

I've only seen them in the colours you show being the barred perch pattern, gold and mountain minnow.

Now I bought a couple of the newer versions last time I was passing The Alpine Angler and they are being produced from my understanding by someone in the family related to the original inventor. I can't remember where I read this or was told it (I think it may have been on the blister packaging) BUT I have to say the modern ones don't last as well as the originals, seem to be slightly lighter and rust up quickly. They do however come in some newer patterns and there was an excellent sort of 'naturalised bait' finish on one. I'll post for comparison when I can find them.

Good stuff

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:31 am

Ha! All is revealed!
Just spoke to the Great Google (should have done that first!) and found this web-page:

Pegron Minnow Returns!.

Checking out the 'colour chart' page, I can see what you mean about the hardware, MXB.
The split-rings look rather dodgy, and stainless only for the laser-finished 'salt-water' patterns by the looks!
Oh well.... Image

Nevertheless, I guess the company should be aplauded for bringing back a golden oldie.
Pity about the quality but fiscal constraints are a fact of life these days.

How did they fish?
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:59 pm

@Marrakai . . .

Yeh that is the problem . . . the split rings and hooks rusted up on me after a few uses in freshwater!!

As for the action they are similar but not as vigourous. I always liked them because they would have that erratic action that big deep holding trout would respond to . . . I mainly used the gold one for browns. The newer ones don't have the action and think this is due to the weight difference . . . I'm sure the newer models are less weighty.

They should have made them all for saltwater with s/s rings and XX Hooks then it wouldn't matter whether you were using them in salt or fresh.

All that being said they are part of Aussie lure history and its good to see them back

MXB

howdy
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 pm

i have a few tiger pegrons awesome lures no minters but a few non the less thumbsupsmilie

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Marrakai
Just found this thread.
I have a third minnow...Salmon minnow
It looks like aluminium in colour but heavier with the only paint being the eye.
I also have a few pegron "cocktails"...
They are a spoon shape about 1" long (if you know what an old pegron is then you can remember inches.)
I also have wonder wobbler style lure that I was told was the original Pegron.
Laurie

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:23 am

Ha! You can't leave it there, Laurie.

Put that digital camera to work!
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Digital! -duh -duh -duh

That explains why the film keeps falling out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MXB
Master
Master

Post by MXB » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Awesome Laurie . . . I learn something about lures everyday thumbsupsmilie

MXB

howdy

OLDMAN
Master
Master

Post by OLDMAN » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Roger
Thats why we are all here...
If you cant learn something here, then you are already dead.
Laurie

Return to “VINTAGE METAL SPOONS / WOBBLERS / SPINNERS”