The Graeme

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

The Graeme

Post by Marrakai » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Most collectors of lures on these forums will probably have a token fishing reel collection tucked away (some not so token!!) and will be familiar with the vintage Aussie brand-name "The Graeme".
The Graeme reels were initially developed by Ken Bennett post-WWII for high-speed rock and surf spinning in the years immediately following the end of hostilities through the 1950s and '60s.
According to Bob Dunn, Bennett and his mates field-tested these reels up and down the NSW coast, making spectacular catches of spannos, tuna, mulloway, and truly big tailor.
Consequently, they are regarded by many as being the pioneers of land-based game fishing in Australia.
But who knew that Ken's little engineering workshop in Manly also made many of the lures they used?

<click to enlarge>
Graeme_slice.jpg
I only have this single example, but its pristine and a nice window into the past history of vintage Australian lures.

Are there any more out there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

fish69blue
Rookie
Rookie

Re: The Graeme

Post by fish69blue » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:35 am

A very nice piece of history.Thankyou for posting up.

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:41 am

Just found another one of these spinners, slightly different pattern, and marked "4".

<click to enlarge>
Graeme_4.jpg
Maybe its 4 ounces? S'pose I should weigh it.....
Pretty sure the previous one isn't 5 ounces though. Might be 'model' number.
Anyone know something about these iconic examples of Aussie heavy metal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

handbrake
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post by handbrake » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:45 am

I have a brochure with a reel and it states- No 2 -2 1/2 oz, No 3-2oz, No4- 1 3/4oz or the special XX with 3 hooks-
2 3/4 oz These spinners have been designed to give maximum action at slow retrieve. They cast well with even flight, so essential for long distances.
Debbie D Hope this helps.

Marrakai
Guru
Guru

Post by Marrakai » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:40 am

Wow, thanks Debbie!
I should have thought of that but my own Graeme reels have long been separated from their paperwork.

No mention of the No.5 or No.6 pattern?

Please know that an uploaded photo or scan of the brochure would be greatly appreciated!
...if you feel so inclined.

Thanks again.
Cheers
Marrakai
Australia's Top End

Return to “VINTAGE METAL SPOONS / WOBBLERS / SPINNERS”