Setting up a lure pattern for smaller boats

Tackle tragic

Setting up a lure pattern for smaller boats

Post by Tackle tragic » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:40 am

I very interested to know peoples opinions in setting up a lure pattern for smaller trailer boats.

targeting pelagics like tuna, sailfish and marlin

say boats from 4.8 up to 6m.....no outriggers so running three rods with two in the boat.

cheers

Baz

Re: Setting up a lure pattern for smaller boats

Post by Baz » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:58 am

I am lucky enough to fish out of a 585 Cruise Craft a few times each year chasing Marlin, Tuna and Mahi Mahi.We use 5 rods but the boat has outriggers attached.The lure spread we use is a long and short corner, long and short rigger and a shotgun which is run down the centre of the spread using another short outrigger that is placed in the centre rod holder of the rocket launcher.It's job is to hold the line up high out of the way of the other lines as the shotgun lure is sometimes run up to 80-100m behind the boat.If you are only running 3 rods the short and long corner and shotgun will be your only option.On the short corner run your lure back to the 2nd wake coming off the boat and on the long run the lure back to the 4th wake.This may change from boat to boat and due to different conditions on the day.Run the shotgun lure as far back as you want but make sure it is still running in some prop wash.This is only a rough guide as all boats are different and different styles of lures work better in different positions.Hope that helps you out a bit.
100_1192-640x480.jpg
Cheers'
Baz.

MXB
Master
Master

Re: Setting up a lure pattern for smaller boats

Post by MXB » Sat May 09, 2009 9:06 pm

howdy

Baz . . . I agree totally.
If you don't have outriggers the only option will be short corners and shotgun out the back. You could conceivably run a long and short out the back if you have the room. I fish out of a 6.6m tri hull for all the species you mentioned and to be honest you are probably better off with only 3 lines out anyway due to the chaos of multiple hook ups when they rarely happen.

You will probably find marlin will take the short corners anyway and barrel in from the side cutting across the lure spread. Tuna, spotties,mahi-mahi etc normally hit the lures out the back more often than in close. Put the smaller lures out back and run the 10 - 16 inch lures in close.

That's my 5 cents worth

thumbsupsmilie
IF YOU ARE FEELING DOWN JUST PULL OUT YOUR FAVOURITE LURE AND DREAM OF BETTER TIMES

Return to “SPORT FISHING LURES BIG GAME LURES”