Favourite tuna lure

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Favourite tuna lure

Post by Mully » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Ok thinking of targeting some bluefin down south any suggestions as to the best performing lure down here ???? . Im a novice at these skirted jigs but would love to use them, just dont want to look silly by putting something completely wrong on,all help appreciated. thumbsupsmilie

Peter Pakula
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Re: Favourite tuna lure

Post by Peter Pakula » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 am

Mully, it’s really hard to look stupid targeting tuna of any species.

In the early days of developing lures there were situations where fish were thick. It seemed that if you could avoid the tuna you could get marlin. I prefer marlin, so I spent years trying to develop lures that Tuna wouldn't eat. I never managed to do that.

Tuna will at some time eat any lure you can troll at any speed.

Fishing for tuna is far more about fishing for tuna where the tuna are and when they are feeding. 90% of that is at first and last light.

There are other factors. It is far easier to troll all one sort of lure than mix them up and expect to get positions and speeds right for each lure to run at it's best.

Some lures will run at a great variety of speeds such as an X-rap, but it's best at around 5 knots. Few skirted lures are great at that speed. Normal chugger heads such as Pakulas are best at 6.5 to 7.5 knots. Bullets and Jets are 8 to 10knot lures.

Sizes can be important, but knowing which size is hard so this is where you use a variety from as small as practical to around 8".

Bigger lures closer to the boat, smaller lures further back.

Colours for Tuna, well good luck. They are all fine.

Here's the main point. If you get your tuna lures working really well, then you'll find you'll be hooking things like wahoo, dolphin fish and MARLIN, yes perhaps a Marlin while fishing for SBT’s. If the water is over 18 degrees you’re in with a chance, perhaps slim chance, but it will happen.
When you start hooking those things DO NOT make the mistake of making everything heavier. Don't use thicker leaders and heavier line classes. The reason you're hooking them is because you are getting the system better. Don't go screwing it up.

Really important to understand that there is no such thing as a species specific lure. Lures imitate bait fish. Every oceanic predator out there eats all the species of bait fish out there. IE everything eats sardines, everything eats yakkas, everything eats slimies, everything eats tiny tuna, even big tuna, everything eats squid.
Other points for tuna is in skirted lures twin hooks are far better than single hook rigs. The lighter the leader the more shots you’ll get.
To give specific lure recommendations you need information such as number of rods, types of outfits, line classes and type of boat being used. Then you can pretty much custom design the lure patterns that will give you a good starting chance.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:49 am

bowsmilie Thanks for that down here we have a tuna run at specific times of the year around Kangaroo island i have been invited onto a 30 footer to have a go so now with a bit more info should be able to at least look half intelligent at targeting them.I have never used your skirted lures so it will be my virgin voyage with these new toys yay cant wait .Thanks for explaining I think ill go the more natural colors then to imitate the bait fish here.

fishaholiclures
Master
Master

Post by fishaholiclures » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:51 pm

shockedsmilie I have disturbing mental images of Mully firesaleing his cod lures to buy a full range of skirts....... susssmilie

Better watch those game deckies mate, they get toey when going near backstairs passages...hehehehehehehehehe

Heres an Idea for you to try

Mully skirt.jpg

oopssmilie damn I have done it again -offtopic smckin punchfrom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know what I know, the rest is simply details
acta non verba

Baz

Post by Baz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:49 pm

Never targeted Bluefin before Mully, but have caught some Yellowfin, Striped and Mackeral Tuna.Fast swimming diving or bibless lures are good.Had alot of success on the CD range from Rapala.As far as skirts go I think you'd look a bit rough in one nahnah .I have used a few of Peter's lures with some success.The Uzi and Zipper have worked well, in fact the Uzi will catch nearly anything with fins.Any of the Tuna Spears available should also work well.Let us know how you go.

Mully
Master
Master
Mood:

Post by Mully » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 pm

not for a while yet mate but the anticipation is half the fun september is the run supposedly so ill try and get out and target them...Like i said never tried skirted so im keen to give it a go yay

Return to “SPORT FISHING LURES BIG GAME LURES”